Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    im trying to look for scholarships for UK students but the cambridge trust website says for undergraduates it excludes them for UK/EU students.

are there no scholarships for UK students

ReputationRep:
    Nope. There is financial aid available such as the Cambridge bursary which is dependent upon household income. Colleges will have their individual funds but there is always certain criteria for these - check with the college/s you're interested in. Don't forget your fees are covered by a student finance loan and you can get help towards maintenance costs from them too (again, amount dependent upon household income).
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by james1221212)
    im trying to look for scholarships for UK students but the cambridge trust website says for undergraduates it excludes them for UK/EU students.

As per Paralove, colleges do award some financial prizes but they are never significant amounts. As a UK student your tuition fee and maintenance loans are you main financial resource, plus the bursary if you are from a low income family.

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/cambridgebursary/uk/

Also, keep in mind that living costs at Cambridge are among the lowest of any UK university. Rent is particularly low, in part due to the short terms.

ReputationRep:

As Paralove & jneill said.
    And it's not just Cambridge. I don't think there're many universities in uk that offers scholarship to home student on undergraduate course. That's where student loan system comes in, along with mean-tested bursary schemes at each uni.
    Each undergraduate place for home/EU student is subsidised by the government already, so universities would rather want to use the available funds to support international students with scholarship who have to pay full international tuition fee (plus college fee, in case of cambridge) which is much more expensive than tuition fee for home/EU students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    As per Paralove, colleges do award some financial prizes but they are never significant amounts. As a UK student your tuition fee and maintenance loans are you main financial resource, plus the bursary if you are from a low income family.

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/cambridgebursary/uk/

Also, keep in mind that living costs at Cambridge are among the lowest of any UK university. Rent is particularly low, in part due to the short terms.
    How much would you say the rent is per academic year on average?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by metrize)
    How much would you say the rent is per academic year on average?
    Cambridge provides budget guidance
    http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...e/living-costs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    And it's not just Cambridge. I don't think there're many universities in uk that offers scholarship to home student on undergraduate course.
    Aberystwyth do, upto £2000.

ReputationRep:
    You might find that interesting although it's for Christ's college (I guess it's similar to other colleges)
    3500 pounds from cambridge bursary
    700 pounds rent rebate
    120 pounds book grant
    4320 pounds and if you're the best in your year then +1000 pounds
    More information here (well for Christ but there are similar to other colleges ... I guess)

Costs:
    953 (room fee/ term)*3=2859
    162 (kitchen fixed charge/term)*3=486
    300 (for meals / term) *3=900
    So 4245 pounds.
    You should also consider the price of your books and your personal expenses but the latter is up to you .
    I don't really know how much the books cost .
    So basically living expenses are pretty much covered and then you have the student loan covering your fees .
    Pound plunges (thank you brexit , I know you didn't mean to help me) so it'll be easy to pay the rest with my 4500 euro .

ReputationRep:

No Cambridge ones, but for certain subjects (e.g. engineering) you might be able to find external ones.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.