Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Will anyone be able to help me with question 3 and 6 because I'm completely baffled and for some reason I can't seem to think of anything!!!Name:  image.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  513.5 KB😡

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about q3 but for q6 I believe the mass number stays the same as the mass number is the number of protons and neutrons. Electrons are negatively charged and the mass number does not include electrons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amelia15)
    Will anyone be able to help me with question 3 and 6 because I'm completely baffled and for some reason I can't seem to think of anything!!!Name:  image.jpg
    I'm not sure about q3 but for q6 I believe the mass number stays the same as the mass number is the number of protons and neutrons. Electrons are negatively charged and the mass number does not include electrons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amelia15)
    For question 3, since this is a biology question and not a chemistry or a physics question, I think it would suffice to assume that the mass of the electron is negligible and that the mass of a proton and neutron are the same. The relative atomic mass of a hydrogen atom is 1, if you were to add a neutron to the hydrogen atom, the new isotope would have a relative atomic mass of 2 (since the relative mass of a neutron is 1). Therefore the mass of the element has doubled from 1 to 2, hence the elements mass has increased by 100%.

For question 6, the only negative charge that can be removed from the element is an electron and, taking the mass of an electron to be negligible, the mass number would be unaffected. Although in reality, electrons are not massless, they have a mass of 9.11x10-31 kg.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.