Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i am thinking about doing Physics at A level since my college rejected me Further Maths since i was 1 mark off A*. I got a C at GCSE and i know that is not good but my circumstances were not the best. I took Physics in year 10 and that year March my father passed away so it was really hard for me to concentrate- i tried my best but i couldn't study. In Year 11 i did rest of my GCSEs i got A in biology and B in chemistry and A in maths so it shows i could've gotten a better grade if my circumstances were better. My question is would my College allow me to do Physics at A level?

ReputationRep:
    Ask them. I doubt anyone here works at your college and can give you an accurate answer. Some colleges might accept you, some might not. I doubt they will unless they have an extenuating circumstances clause or whatever. Explain your situation to the College.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexLawrence1453)
    Ask them. I doubt anyone here works at your college and can give you an accurate answer. Some colleges might accept you, some might not. I doubt they will unless they have an extraneous circumstances clause or whatever. Explain your situation to the College.
    im sorry but what do you mean by 'extraneous circumstances clause' dont know what it means.
    Also yeah i am going to my College in the coming week i will explain it to them hopefully they allow me to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homere)
    im sorry but what do you mean by 'extraneous circumstances clause' dont know what it means.
    Also yeah i am going to my College in the coming week i will explain it to them hopefully they allow me to do it.
    Something like your father dying isn't usually ignored when considering applicants. An extenuating* (whoops) circumstance is one that accounts for irregular behaviour or performance. Lots of education institutions will see that you have reason for doing worse in your GCSEs and be more lenient with the entrance requirements. It's not guaranteed, and might not be enough to let you in with a C in physics, but it's worth a try.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexLawrence1453)
    Something like your father dying isn't usually ignored when considering applicants. An extenuating* (whoops) circumstance is one that accounts for irregular behaviour or performance. Lots of education institutions will see that you have reason for doing worse in your GCSEs and be more lenient with the entrance requirements. It's not guaranteed, and might not be enough to let you in with a C in physics, but it's worth a try.
    Thanks for replying hopefully they let me in i need it for engineering

ReputationRep:
    No problem! I wish you well.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, in the highly unlikely event that they refuse to let you onto Physics.

Self-teach, learn the content and ask them to allow you to take an exam in say January. I doubt they'd let someone who has achieved an A in the mock, not sit the real exam. Schools love their statistics

Good luck anyway man!

ReputationRep:
    physics wuld be a good choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naruke)
    Hi, in the highly unlikely event that they refuse to let you onto Physics.

Self-teach, learn the content and ask them to allow you to take an exam in say January. I doubt they'd let someone who has achieved an A in the mock, not sit the real exam. Schools love their statistics

Good luck anyway man!
    Thanks for the advice will do this if they dont let me do Physics

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.