Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A Level English Lit - how do you know if you have a passion for it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was predicted a* at gcse but got an a instead. I didn't enjoy the lessons that much but I don't know if that was because of the teacher and the fact that I didn't get involved that much. But I enjoyed writing my coursework and managed to get full marks in it, and would love to study a book such as the great gatsby. My worry is the exams though as I cannot write that fast in them and it could all go down hill. Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    I hated Literature at GCSE, loved it at AS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    I hated Literature at GCSE, loved it at AS.
    what was it you hated at GCSE and what made you decide to take it to AS?

ReputationRep:
    I think you know if you are passionate about something. For me, English literature being the subject I am most passionate about doing work for it is by no means a chore. I enjoy reading, I look forward to the lessons. I do think teachers can really impact your opinion of a subject you are right, but if you still ultimately enjoy the work regardless then I think it's an indicator that it's something you should follow further. The only way to get better at timings is to keep doing practiced timed questions, although it can be tedious it will resolve the issue !!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elisha22)
    what was it you hated at GCSE and what made you decide to take it to AS?
    I hated it at GCSE because I couldn't see the point in it. I thought poetry was wishy-washy nonsense. I much more enjoyed creative writing, which is why I initially took English Language onto A2, not Literature.

Then I discovered two things. Firstly, English Language is not a 'facilitating subject'. Secondly, there is no creative writing in A-level English Language. So I swapped to Lit.

I enjoyed it a lot more at A2 because you really develop analytical abilities. I don't actually enjoy reading, and I don't read recreationally. What I do enjoy though is deriving impossibly contrived interpretations from virtually next to no information. That's why I enjoy Lit at A-level.

ReputationRep:
    I started to hate English lit and language when GCSEs started in yr 10 because I felt I was the worst student in my entire class that was full of confident outspoken ppl who were clearly well better than I was. Though my classroom didn't suffer too much under the pressure of having to cope in such a class, I felt like both my yr10 and yr11 teachers thought I wasn't very good at the subject which was very disheartening for me.as I'd always enjoyed English so much. As for my class work- yes it did not suffer so much but w as definitely going downhill marked with encouraging but in a way pitying comments. By end of yr11, my predicted grades were brought down from As in lit and language to B/A in both. However, as I always loved it and tried my hardest, I ended up with an A* in language and an A in lit- I loved lit much more than language and will be doing lit at a level
    I'd say practice makes perfect- work hard and don't let anything stand in your way.
    Also, if you struggle with timing, talk to your teacher- they could arrange for revision lessons etc. Nearer to the exams my teacher gave us post its to write what we wanted to practise in the lessons leading to study leave and then in the revision sessions during study leave. She focused on all the things she felt we needed to work on as a class and also gave us lesson where we'd got to the computer room and work on our own independent revision

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.