The Student Room Group

What do I do? (A level results)

Alright so, long story short:

Applied to medicine this year with predicted grades of A*A*A. Got all offers. Messed up with my A Levels and got ABB (yes, I'm an idiot, I know.). Was obviously rejected for missing conditions of offers. Am now taking a gap year.

Grades:
A in Biology - narrowly missed A* due to coursework being moderated down -_-
B in Chemistry - due to mitigating circumstance: didn't have a Chem teacher in year 12 and got a C at AS so I had to resit all AS modules along with A2
B in Religious Studies - devastating: I got 100% in 2 of 4 modules, 80% in the 3rd module and a U grade in my 4th module - I'm am currently going to appeal with this though because obviously there's a huge discrepancy between 3As and a U. My remark came back unchanged though so I'm not getting my hopes up :frown:

Now comes the big question.
What do I do?

Do I:
-forget about medicine and accept that maybe it just wasn't meant to be
-apply for foundation year med and spend at least 6 years in uni after a gap year meaning I graduate at the age of 25.
-sacrifice my summer to revision to re-sit my A Levels this year and apply to the 3 medical schools that accept resits, and hope that I get in to the 5 year Med course

Advice is hugely appreciated.

Thank you
Original post by confusedspecimen
Alright so, long story short:

Applied to medicine this year with predicted grades of A*A*A. Got all offers. Messed up with my A Levels and got ABB (yes, I'm an idiot, I know.). Was obviously rejected for missing conditions of offers. Am now taking a gap year.

Grades:
A in Biology - narrowly missed A* due to coursework being moderated down -_-
B in Chemistry - due to mitigating circumstance: didn't have a Chem teacher in year 12 and got a C at AS so I had to resit all AS modules along with A2
B in Religious Studies - devastating: I got 100% in 2 of 4 modules, 80% in the 3rd module and a U grade in my 4th module - I'm am currently going to appeal with this though because obviously there's a huge discrepancy between 3As and a U. My remark came back unchanged though so I'm not getting my hopes up :frown:

Now comes the big question.
What do I do?

Do I:
-forget about medicine and accept that maybe it just wasn't meant to be
-apply for foundation year med and spend at least 6 years in uni after a gap year meaning I graduate at the age of 25.
-sacrifice my summer to revision to re-sit my A Levels this year and apply to the 3 medical schools that accept resits, and hope that I get in to the 5 year Med course

Advice is hugely appreciated.

Thank you

Resit Chemistry and the RE module. It's not complicated.
Reply 2
I think you should take a gap year, get some work experience and life experience, move on with your life. If your college allows it, do only the exams, there is no point of you going classes for the resits just waste of time really. So if possible ask them if you can just resit the exams without going to classes, this way you have time for yourself, work, gym, thinking, goals etc.
Reply 3
Ahh, the typical "Help, I didn't get 3 A*'s I only got two, is my life ruined?" thread.
Original post by AR_95
Ahh, the typical "Help, I didn't get 3 A*'s I only got two, is my life ruined?" thread.

I wish I got an A*, ha
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Resit Chemistry and the RE module. It's not complicated.

I don't know of many med schools that accept resits though to be honest, hence why I'm a bit worried because chances of getting an offer are really slim

Original post by Reda2
I think you should take a gap year, get some work experience and life experience, move on with your life. If your college allows it, do only the exams, there is no point of you going classes for the resits just waste of time really. So if possible ask them if you can just resit the exams without going to classes, this way you have time for yourself, work, gym, thinking, goals etc.

Thanks, that's the plan so far but I don't know if its worth re-sitting or just applying for foundation year med school
I don't know of many med schools that accept resits though to be honest, hence why I'm a bit worried because chances of getting an offer are really slim

Thanks, that's the plan so far but I don't know if its worth re-sitting or just applying for foundation year med school

Why would spend an extra £9,000 when you can spend around £40 to just resit those exams. R.E seems like utter bad luck, and chemistry, well, just revise and study harder. You're not even eligible for foundation medicine as you've taken chemistry and biology. Foundation medicine is for people with AAA non-science subjects.
Reply 7

You could do that but it will cost. If you can afford it then I think definitively go for it, since you are almost guaranteed to get a place after the foundation year. And remember its not like resetting, its all going to be new and different.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Why would spend an extra £9,000 when you can spend around £40 to just resit those exams. R.E seems like utter bad luck, and chemistry, well, just revise and study harder. You're not even eligible for foundation medicine as you've taken chemistry and biology. Foundation medicine is for people with AAA non-science subjects.

Yeah I guess so... Do you happen to know of any med schools that accept A Levels taken over 3 years?
There are a few foundation med schools (King's, St George's) who do accept science subjects. Their conditions are BBB just so long as you've gone to a state school for your whole life, which I did.
Thanks though :smile:
Yeah I guess so... Do you happen to know of any med schools that accept A Levels taken over 3 years?
There are a few foundation med schools (King's, St George's) who do accept science subjects. Their conditions are BBB just so long as you've gone to a state school for your whole life, which I did.
Thanks though :smile:

Really? I never know that. Must be pretty competitive with the low requirements. BSMS and Exeter do off the top of my head. I think Plymouth do too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending