Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey pals,

I'm in the process of dropping my current course because I was very disappointed with the institution (only did year 1) to take a gap year - and then reapply to the BBA at ESADE in Barcelona and the undergrad programme at St Gallen, where you go on to choose your major (Business, Econ, Law, IR) after an assessment year.

I'm fluent in the languages of both countries so that's not a deciding factor, neither are the fees. Long-term career goal is strategy/consulting, and I'm really keen on doing a respectable master's as well.

What would you reckon? Any sort of input/opinion on these schools/programmes is very much welcomed!

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    St Gallen is highly respected in Switzerland because the system produces graduates who can hit the road running, according to Swiss friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by latenovember)
    Long-term career goal is strategy/consulting, and I'm really keen on doing a respectable master's as well.
    That's a tough goal now, given that you have exhibited poor research and judgement in picking your first university (and lack of perseverance in sticking with it), and having wasted a year, making you older than other applicants.

ReputationRep:
    What's so disappointing about your current university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil)
    That's a tough goal now, given that you have exhibited poor research and judgement in picking your first university (and lack of perseverance in sticking with it), and having wasted a year, making you older than other applicants.
    I was really keen on going abroad and studying something very specific - which is not seen as a soft subject where I'm from; and since my university was the seemingly best pick of those who offered the subject in the first place, even though I far exceeded the entry requirements. Immersing myself into UK culture and society I realised the position I'd put myself into, so I decided to 180?

I'll still be 19 next year, which hardly makes me the black sheep. Most friends I made in my first year were 20-21 because they'd done a gap year or two, and I know for a fact respected business and law schools don't care about age - in fact they welcome mature students or even students with senior status.

Why do you care? I did really not ask for your opinion or judgment on my motives or application prospects, merely about reviews/experience concerning the two schools. So cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GandalfWhite)
    St Gallen is highly respected in Switzerland because the system produces graduates who can hit the road running, according to Swiss friends.
    Thanks for your input, heard similar things! To answer your other post - extremely incompetent students and staff, partly unable to even speak proper English, administrational incompetence i.e. module leaders forgetting to tell seminar teachers to give the same instruction for assignments hence causing huge discrepancies in results between seminar groups, course leaders getting students to essentially promote the university (unpaid and under the guise of assignments), repetitive topics and tasks amongst different modules, overall lack of academic challenge. I was just super disappointed and felt like I'd later be left unable to further build on this degree in terms of academics and limit myself to this field

ReputationRep:
    So defensive. Anyway, St. Gallen I'd say. Great reputation.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.