The Student Room Group

Whole of A Level Maths+Further Maths in one year?

Is it possible to do the whole of a level maths and further maths in one year?
right now i only do 3 a levels, Computer science maths and business
i got C in AS Maths and im going to need to resit those modules so ill be doing all of a level maths in one year as it is. However, i may need to drop computer science i didnt have an exam but if i did i would've got a solid U. I'd like to take a level further maths but could i get that all done alongside the whole of a level maths and business studies?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TS21
i got C in AS Maths and im going to need to resit those modules so ill be doing all of a level maths in one year as it is. However, i may need to drop computer science i didnt have an exam but if i did i would've got a solid U. I'd like to take a level further maths but could i get that all done alongside the whole of a level maths and business studies?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you got a C in AS Maths then I very much doubt FM is doable for you, more so within a single year because the full A-Level is 6 modules. Sorry.
Reply 2
Of course it's possible but you will need to drastically improve or put more effort in to do well.
Did you try hard at AS?
Original post by TS21

Posted from TSR Mobile

Think about it. Exams statrt in late may, giving you 9 months. 12 modules to do. You could complete in 6 months if you spend 2 weeks a module - perhaps you could do c1 but not c3 c4 fp1 etc in such a short period of time. Then you only get 1 week for revision per module in the remaining time

Chances are you'll spread yourself too thinly and will achieve below satisfactory grades

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by TS21

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very much possible, but you need to get your priorities in check.

For AS, you obviously didn't put enough work in or you worked incorrectly.
Reply 5
Original post by B_9710
Of course it's possible but you will need to drastically improve or put more effort in to do well.
Did you try hard at AS?

I didn't do enough practice for AS, i knew everything in the book but what use is that if you don't practice. I only started revising around April for AS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by TS21
I didn't do enough practice for AS, i knew everything in the book but what use is that if you don't practice. I only started revising around April for AS

Posted from TSR Mobile

You know where you messed up and I suspect that you know what you have to do.

Start revison now and get sufficient practice for all of your modules. This means all textbook questions and all past papers for your exam board!

p.s: Computer Science is so good why would you drop it :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by Naruke
You know where you messed up and I suspect that you know what you have to do.

Start revison now and get sufficient practice for all of your modules. This means all textbook questions and all past papers for your exam board!

p.s: Computer Science is so good why would you drop it :frown:

Its been so poorly taught at my school, we've basically wasted a whole year and i haven't learnt how to properly code. The fundamentals are all wrong and now we have this massive project to complete thats ongoing for the whole year, it requires massive amount of coding and i won't be able to learn and create this project at the same time (not too a good standard anyway) and also the exams are split into two papers. One is fully based on programming and the other is computer systems, so essentially 60% of my course is programming and i cant program to save me life

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by TS21
Its been so poorly taught at my school, we've basically wasted a whole year and i haven't learnt how to properly code. The fundamentals are all wrong and now we have this massive project to complete thats ongoing for the whole year, it requires massive amount of coding and i won't be able to learn and create this project at the same time (not too a good standard anyway) and also the exams are split into two papers. One is fully based on programming and the other is computer systems, so essentially 60% of my course is programming and i cant program to save me life

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's not a good enough excuse I'm afraid...

You're basically telling me that you are failing because your school are not teaching you to a standard you deem worthy. This is your life, you can't blame other people for your mistakes. Fortunately in this day and age, we have something called the 'Internet'. Have you ever heard of it? You can use the internet to access something called 'Youtube', this site has been up for years and there are a ton of tutorials for all kinds of things. Try typing in 'Python coding tutorials' or whatever language your school uses.

You still have time, stop wasting your time and do something constructive with it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TS21

Posted from TSR Mobile
YES you can do it if you are dedicated and ambitious about it. But with that said you also have to be realistic. Getting a C does not mean you can't do well in A-Level Maths and Further Maths (IMO) but you also have to consider why you got a C in order to figure out if you can handle the particularly difficult aspects of Maths. When pursuing something extremely zealous like this, you must understand every topic you are taught in order to be capable of getting A's and A*'s in A-Level Further Maths and Maths, more so considering that you want to do it in one year. If you haven't already, you need to realize that doing this is not going to be simplistic, and the extent of difficulty of the topics may be unexpected at times, & that is why a strong work ethic, optimism and unabating dedication is needed when pursuing such things.

I can't stress how important being dedicated and having a strong work ethic is. I'm doing what you're doing (in a shorter time actually) and i have the same grade in Maths despite getting A's & B's in every C1, C2 & S1 past paper i did, simply because my work ethic towards Maths was gradually dismantled as it became less of a priority because i thought i was in a good enough spot, but even with that grade i still find it easy to solve C1, C2 & S1 questions. I started the A2 syllabus of Maths (through C3 & at the second chapter of C4: if you do edexcel) and i have not found anything that was so abstruse i was incapable of understanding it, but i do arrive at questions that are difficult and require commitment and a strong work ethic to work through and come up with the solution.

Now this may all be relative depending on how you work but i still think this is worth considering :smile:.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest