Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If I were to become a big firm lawyer (Magic circle or us firm) I am aware I will work my arse off. However, people say you work constantly, but are there times when you will have weeks where it is more of a normal job? I want to work in M&A and the like, so I know this is a lot of work, but will I have weeks where I am not working at a dangerous intensity? Also, I want to have a family, but if I do this career, will I ever have the chance to do this, and be able to be a good parent and husband? Also, I will be aiming for partner, so I know this increase my workload. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That'sGreat)
    If I were to become a big firm lawyer (Magic circle or us firm) I am aware I will work my arse off. However, people say you work constantly, but are there times when you will have weeks where it is more of a normal job? I want to work in M&A and the like, so I know this is a lot of work, but will I have weeks where I am not working at a dangerous intensity? Also, I want to have a family, but if I do this career, will I ever have the chance to do this, and be able to be a good parent and husband? Also, I will be aiming for partner, so I know this increase my workload. Thanks
    Transactional teams like M&A do tend to have peaks and troughs of activity depending on the deals they are working on. There will be times where your hours are close to 100 a week when it's very busy, and times when it's closer to 45. Reality is the majority of weeks will be somewhere around the 60 mark. The one issue most lawyers find is not the amount of hours but the unpredictability of those hours. One minute you could expect to have a quiet week and then a deal lands on your desk unexpectedly, then next you assume you will be super busy and then a deal gets called off or delayed and you find yourself at a loose end. That can often make it a little more difficult to plan things outside of work.

There are plenty of M&A lawyers (and in other departments) who have families and who would consider themselves good parents. Yes, they have to rely on childcare more so than other people, whether that's through family or paid childcare. Flexible working technology also means that a lot of lawyers will leave the office at a reasonable time to see their kids/family but then log in at night after their kids have gone to bed to check and respond to emails.

I've met many lawyers on track for partnership who somehow manage it. They are usually pretty impressive people anyway, but they seem to take balancing everything in their life in their stride - it's like they are cut out for it. I don't think everyone can do it well, or without harming their own mental/physical health, but there are plenty who do.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.