Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

I'm not due to start university until next year, but I'm trying to be extremely organised and make sure it's doable.

Basically I'm a single parent with 3 children (8,7 and 2). I get income support, child tax, child benefit, housing benefit and council tax support. When the time comes to apply for student loans etc, will this affect my benefits?

I've heard life is only just liveable whilst attending uni and also life is financially more stable. Could any one give me a heads up what to expect because what I'm reading online doesn't seem possible as the loans and grants etc amount up to quite a lot and more than, I assume, the benefits would allow.

Thank you in advance
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by TW88)
    Hi everyone

I'm not due to start university until next year, but I'm trying to be extremely organised and make sure it's doable.

Basically I'm a single parent with 3 children (8,7 and 2). I get income support, child tax, child benefit, housing benefit and council tax support. When the time comes to apply for student loans etc, will this affect my benefits?

I've heard life is only just liveable whilst attending uni and also life is financially more stable. Could any one give me a heads up what to expect because what I'm reading online doesn't seem possible as the loans and grants etc amount up to quite a lot and more than, I assume, the benefits would allow.

Thank you in advance
    Yes they'll include your student loan as household income so it will affect your benefits. You won't pay for council tax as a student at all. I think if i remember correctly, you can only claim income support as you ll have a child under 5 but i think you can continue to get the rest but the housing benefit will be a smaller amount (dont think the child ones will change).
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Yes they'll include your student loan as household income so it will affect your benefits. You won't pay for council tax as a student at all. I think if i remember correctly, you can only claim income support as you ll have a child under 5 but i think you can continue to get the rest but the housing benefit will be a smaller amount (dont think the child ones will change).
    This is right. Tax credits ignore student finance as income. (apart from one, which I can't remember off the top of my head)

Whether you take everything you're enttiled to, it's counted as income because it's money you're entitled to.

Some of your loan is disregarded (ignored) for travel and books and your tuition fee loan is ignored in full.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys. Not sure if it's going to be worthwhile getting the loans etc to keep messing around with benefits.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.