Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. Hoping I can get some ideas here I've been writing since I was tiny, and getting published quite regularly since I was 14, both articles with my byline (in local and national papers and online) and anonymous fillers written on work experience. I have a great big box of all this stuff now, and I've decided it's time to put it all together. So I want to make some kind of portfolio but I have no idea how to display this stuff in the best way - just sticking it all in a ringbinder doesn't seem particularly interesting. Anyone got any ideas for how I can present it in an eye-catching way or just do something a little different? Anyone done anything like this for their own work? Thanks!

NB: Please don't move this, it's not directly career related so it is meant for General Chat

ReputationRep:
    WOW! I want to publish some stuff but first I'd have to write some stuff. I think putting stuff in those clear...packets (you know like a plastic sleeve, see through) one page in each one or one on each side is the best way or you could look around the net.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knight-Errant)
    WOW! I want to publish some stuff but first I'd have to write some stuff. I think putting stuff in those clear...packets (you know like a plastic sleeve, see through) one page in each one or one on each side is the best way or you could look around the net.
    Hehe, writing something is always a good starting point if you want to get published! Good luck with it, and thanks for the suggestions!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    Hey guys. Hoping I can get some ideas here I've been writing since I was tiny, and getting published quite regularly since I was 14, both articles with my byline (in local and national papers and online) and anonymous fillers written on work experience. I have a great big box of all this stuff now, and I've decided it's time to put it all together. So I want to make some kind of portfolio but I have no idea how to display this stuff in the best way - just sticking it all in a ringbinder doesn't seem particularly interesting. Anyone got any ideas for how I can present it in an eye-catching way or just do something a little different? Anyone done anything like this for their own work? Thanks!

NB: Please don't move this, it's not directly career related so it is meant for General Chat
    You could just turn up naked with the portfolio in your hand? You'd definitely be noticed, and they certainly wouldnt forget you.

I think I've drank too much cheap orange juice today.

ReputationRep:
    how about getting a scarpbook/art book and painting the pages very lightly with watery paint to give it an effect then sticking the work to it, someone i know did this and it looked really good xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    You could just turn up naked with the portfolio in your hand? You'd definitely be noticed, and they certainly wouldnt forget you.
    True...! However possibly not for the right reasons.

(Original post by crazy_cutie44)
    how about getting a scarpbook/art book and painting the pages very lightly with watery paint to give it an effect then sticking the work to it, someone i know did this and it looked really good xx
    Hmm, nice thought, thanks for that. I'm not even vaguely artistic so would probably muck it up somehow, but it's a good idea to keep in mind. Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Fold your works into paper aeroplanes and fly them through the window.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pzyko)
    Fold your works into paper aeroplanes and fly them through the window.
    Genius :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yay, another writer. We should have a society, lol. I just have one of those photo albums with tacky pages and clear sheets over the top, they look great for newspaper articles, poems or smallish awards.

For my longer pieces i just use one of those clearfile books, keeps them all together and looks neat and simple.

ReputationRep:
    what about sticking them on A3 large cards? you can organise all your work in order of how you want people to view them.. and its more "artistic" if you knwo what i mean..

ReputationRep:
    Here's another one - save them on a floppy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    what about sticking them on A3 large cards? you can organise all your work in order of how you want people to view them.. and its more "artistic" if you knwo what i mean..
    That sounds quite cool actually, a bit different and gives me more flexibility to add/remove stuff... might be harder to store though? Will have to have a think about it - thanks very much for the suggestion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)

all of my published things are presented in a file thats got basically polypockets attached inside of it (not like a ringbinder). ive then put all my magazines into each polypocket and any newspaper articles onto brightly coloured A4 card and put those in too in chronological order

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    go to your local art supplies shop and pick up a sketchbook... chose one that is slightly bigger than A4 (maybe even up to a3) and has a really good plain hard cover. they sell them with coloured/black pages... might be an idea. then use spraymount to stick in the work. a nice idea might be to do facing pages: on the left the newspaper cutting, on the right a clean copy printed off your computer. a simple label explaining what the article was for/about might be a good idea too.

i have had work sprial bound before, thats always an interesting way to do it. just go to your local printers and ask for plain metal binding... looks nice and you can bind lots in one thing but you cant add to it. if you have got loads of stuff maybe you could spiral bind it into years. like 1999 would have its own little book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    I think I've drank too much cheap orange juice today.
    lol..joker, but you would be surprised, i know through other people someone who could get pissed on water (this guy was mentally handicapped), but could do so by drinking about 20 l of water within one night, something to do with liver intoxication, where i think it attempts to break down the exces water, having the same effect as alcohol

ReputationRep:
    I've had an idea:

Put them on the brown or mustardy paper you can get but rip (yes rip not cut) and outer border of red or maroon paper to stick onto the paper but make sure your work fits inside, I'll post a basic example. The cheap paper too, it looks better. With a kind of pale red/pink I mean. It looks good, the ripped effect. Somehow, my best efforts on paint don't do it justice...
    Attached Images

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.