Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Why would boiling points give a better idea of metallic bond strength in group 2 elements that melting points would?

Thanks in advance for any help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blake Jones)
    Hi

Why would boiling points give a better idea of metallic bond strength in group 2 elements that melting points would?

Thanks in advance for any help!
    ?? Isn't boiling/melting point effectively the same thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ze Witcher)
    That's what I thought! XD

ReputationRep:
    To measure the metallic bond strength, you have to completely break the metallic bonds.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know because there is NO obvious trend in boiling points of group 2 elements...
    There is a trend in melting point though
    where is this questions from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ze Witcher)
    In the deep dark depths of the internet I found this after a while of searching -
    In a molten metal, the metallic bond is still present, although the ordered structure has been broken down. The metallic bond isn't fully broken until the metal boils. That means that boiling point is actually a better guide to the strength of the metallic bond than melting point is. On melting, the bond is loosened, not broken.

ReputationRep:
    In the deep dark depths of the internet I found this after a while of searching -
    In a molten metal, the metallic bond is still present, although the ordered structure has been broken down. The metallic bond isn't fully broken until the metal boils. That means that boiling point is actually a better guide to the strength of the metallic bond than melting point is. On melting, the bond is loosened, not broken.
    Exactly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lawlieto)
    I don't know because there is NO obvious trend in boiling points of group 2 elements...
    There is a trend in melting point though
    where is this questions from?
    Metallic bonding is a lot more complicated than simple van der Waals stuff, so I wouldn't expect an AS student to be able to rationalise the trend.

ReputationRep:
    Oh Luckily I don't think I've been penalised for using either term

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Metallic bonding is a lot more complicated than simple van der Waals stuff, so I wouldn't expect an AS student to be able to rationalise the trend.
    Haha! Thanks that makes me feel a bit better

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.