The Student Room Group

Joint Degree pros and cons

Hey guys I was wondering about the possible advantages and disadvantages of a joint degree. What's the opinion of those currently studying or those who have studied a joint degree. Also, 1) is it a myth that the amount of work for a joint degree is actually more than that for a singles degree and 2) is a joint degree a limiting factor for postgraduate options in the sense that unis prefer single honours students for masters etc.
1) No the workload isn't more. You do the same number university credits as any other student. However, it may feel like more work, especially if you're studying two subjects with little to no crossover.

2) Absolutely not, you can easily go onto postgrad with a joint honours degree.
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
1) No the workload isn't more. You do the same number university credits as any other student. However, it may feel like more work, especially if you're studying two subjects with little to no crossover.

2) Absolutely not, you can easily go onto postgrad with a joint honours degree.

Thanks! I'm happy to hear that :biggrin:
Original post by pcheras
Thanks! I'm happy to hear that :biggrin:

Do your research when choosing where to apply - some universities treat joint honours students as poor relations.

Ask about:
- timetabling for joint honours (have previous students struggled to find a suitable mix of modules because of clashed)
- tutor/tutorial support (is it from one subject or both?)
- organisation (is there a joint honours "office" where you can go if there's a problem or are you going to get a different experience depending which department "own" your combined course?)
- numbers of students (how many started on this course in the past, how many finished the degree and which what grades and how does that compare to single honours). poor support and student experience will generally show in higher drop out and failure rates

In universities where they take joint honours courses seriously (or if you're on a well designed joint honours course with a lot of students which is handled well) then this stuff wont cause any problems....but if you get unlucky you could end up not meeting your full potential because you simply can't study what you want to because of admin ****ups.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending