The Student Room Group

Topics in C3 and C4 that use C1 and C2 knowledge...

What topics come up in C3 and C4 that came up in C1 and C2, My teacher told me to revise C1 and C2 and I'm not entirely sure that all of C1 and C2 are gonna come up in my A2 maths exams if you know what I mean. So what are the topics of C1 and C2 that come up in C3 and C4. Thanks.
Original post by RejoicingMail
What topics come up in C3 and C4 that came up in C1 and C2, My teacher told me to revise C1 and C2 and I'm not entirely sure that all of C1 and C2 are gonna come up in my A2 maths exams if you know what I mean. So what are the topics of C1 and C2 that come up in C3 and C4. Thanks.

Knowledge from C1 and C2 is assumed for C3 and C4, so everything really. The only things that don't come up are sequences and series. The most important topics are differentiation and integration and trigonometry.
Original post by RejoicingMail

The only thing I would actually kind of half-partially recommend you actually revise is finding solutions from trig equations (using the range, cast diagrams or however you do it etc) as well as proving trig identities, because you need confidence for working with sin and cos.

Anything else you can just pick up as you go.
I think it honestly depends on what board you're on. I know for OCR in C3, Modulus Functions like y= the modulus of f(x), simple knowledge of C1 Reflections is required. The same with modulus equations and inequalities. An example of modulus equations which require pretty simple C1 knowledge is: http://www.examsolutions.net/tutorials/modulus-equations/?board=OCR&module=c3&topic=1388. Other C3 topics include transformations of the exponential function e^x (C1 knowledge) and sketching transformations. There's differentiation: Tangents, normal and stationary points, which require C1/C2 knowledge (but is obviously more difficult). Take a look at Q1, and other questions also. They all involve differentiation. http://www.examsolutions.net/tutorials/exam-questions-differentiation-tangents-normals-and-stationary-points/?board=OCR&module=c3&topic=11048. That's all I can honestly think of at the moment. Apologies if OCR isn't your board. Even if it's not, I know many boards overlap in terms of topics, so this may still be pertinent. Oh yeah, as the above poster said, identities from C2 (if covered in C2) ought to be known. If you're weak in that topic, I recommend just consolidating your knowledge on them, and possibly wrapping your head around new ones including 1+cot^2=csc^2 etc (if you haven't already). I also recommend looking at past papers from your board, and specifically looking at proving identities.
(edited 7 years ago)
Everything. It's all Mathematics.

There is a lot of calculus that obviously builds on what you did in C1&C2. C3 contains differentiation using methods you will learn, and then C4 Integration the same thing here.
Logs, exponentials and graph sketching in C3 builds on the fundamentals you worked on in C1.
Trig in both modules expands on how you solved trig equations in C2.

It all really builds on everything. Good luck in A2 maths.

Quick Reply

Latest