Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Guys, I wanna do civil engineering and i dont fancy doing physics at a ldvel, as I know i will mess it up and get a bad grade. Im doing Maths Economics and Chemistry. And the physics exam board is OCR. So guys, can i still get into a top university to do civil engineering degree without physics, and with the subjects i have chosen?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by joseph9299)
    Guys, I wanna do civil engineering and i dont fancy doing physics at a ldvel, as I know i will mess it up and get a bad grade. Im doing Maths Economics and Chemistry. And the physics exam board is OCR. So guys, can i still get into a top university to do civil engineering degree without physics, and with the subjects i have chosen?
    You should take Physics. There are a few universities that do not require Physics but practically all of them strongly encourage you to take it. You want to be taking as much Physics and Maths as possible if you're thinking of going into engineering - if you're reluctant to do this, you should consider whether Engineering is the right degree.

ReputationRep:
    Civil engineering is pretty much a form of applied physics, and the top universities won't see any reason to let you in without physics when virtually every other applicant has it. The top universities such as Cambridge and Imperial also expect you to take mechanics modules in maths (as many as you can possibly take) as maths mechanics modules actually instil some appreciation of the role of maths in physics*. Take Further Maths A Level too as it involves matrices, complex numbers and eigenvectors, all of which have applications in engineering.

*The level of mathematics required in A Level physics has sadly declined over the past fifty years, deteriorating from requieing a C3/C4 level of understanding back then to only a GCSE standard now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joseph9299)
    Possible, but not encouraged at all. If you really, really, really don't want to take it. Take FM instead of economics and make sure to do all the mechanics modules.

ReputationRep:
    We can give you advice but you'd be better off checking the actual University websites. Just find the entry requirements on the websites of whichever Unis you fancy and it will tell you what subjects are required and preferred. Hope that helps

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.