Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A lot of universities really want you to demonstrate some form of mannual dexterity in both a personal statment and interview. What is the best way to go about this?

The fact that dentistry is a very pratical career is one aspect that appeals to me, yet I cant seem to find anything that I do to demonstrate this. I dont play a musical instrument and I dont knit or build models of any kind. The last time I did art was in year 9.

What should I do? I mean, I dont realy want to take up a new hobby now (it would look fake to universities).

The only thing I can think of for me is cake baking and then deccorating. I have always really enjoyed this. Would this be okay, or is it clutching the straws?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Lewismioc)
    A lot of universities really want you to demonstrate some form of mannual dexterity in both a personal statment and interview. What is the best way to go about this?

The fact that dentistry is a very pratical career is one aspect that appeals to me, yet I cant seem to find anything that I do to demonstrate this. I dont play a musical instrument and I dont knit or build models of any kind. The last time I did art was in year 9.

What should I do? I mean, I dont realy want to take up a new hobby now (it would look fake to universities).

The only thing I can think of for me is cake baking and then deccorating. I have always really enjoyed this. Would this be okay, or is it clutching the straws?
    Cake decorating sounds like it could be a good solution - it requires handling tools, fine details, steady hands etc. I'd suggest you put a bit of time into it (maybe start a blog of photos of cakes you've decorated demonstrating your skills - you can mention the blog (don't give the address just mention it exists) in your PS and then if need be you can send the link through so that universities can see your work).

ReputationRep:
    Decorate a cake with one hand, complete a rubix cube with the other.

Or you could mash the two together and create a rubix cube cake with moveable slices. If they can complete the cake, they get to eat it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Cake decorating sounds like it could be a good solution - it requires handling tools, fine details, steady hands etc. I'd suggest you put a bit of time into it (maybe start a blog of photos of cakes you've decorated demonstrating your skills - you can mention the blog (don't give the address just mention it exists) in your PS and then if need be you can send the link through so that universities can see your work).
    Thank you for your help. I already have plenty of pictures of things I have made before, so i think I will give this a go.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 5, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Is cheesecake a cake?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.