Experience for midwifery!

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to apply for Midwifery in the next few weeks, however I'm worried about getting rejected. I've read up and spoken to midwives about how competitive the course is to get onto, which worries me. I've read that you need a high level of experience and I'm worried I just don't have enough, are there any current or past midwifery students or midwives themselves who could offer some advice?

I'm studying Level 3 Health Sciences BTEC. I was a birthing partner for my mum when she had my little sister 2 years ago, I'll be 19 when I start uni. I did 2 weeks work experience in a care home too. I'm currently being processed to volunteer on the orthopaedics ward at my local hospital. Also in contact with a private ultrasound company who do obstetric ultrasounds to do a day of shadowing. I've been in contact with sure start centres around my area and am waiting to hear back from them. Is there anything else I can do?
    I got B/B in dual award science at GCSE. I'm predicted 3 D* in my current college course too.

Any advice is appreciated, I'm already a year behind and I'm worried about wasting years upon years applying for midwifery, I've heard of people applying 4 years in a row and not getting in!

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for Adult Nursing but have a few ideas that may help you, It's worth seeing if you can shadow a midwife or volunteer in a maternity department, breastfeeding support groups or charities such as Kicks Count. In the end what ever experience you get, you will gain transferable skills.
    Midwifery is competitive but if you have the right personal qualities & a passion for caring for women & providing the best care then this will show in your personal statement and at your interview.
    I'd recommend going to university open days if you can, you can speak to current students and lecturers, the ones I went to had Midwifery & Nursing talks where they gave excellent advice to benefit your application.
    I hope this helps & Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    The other thing I would add is to check the UCAS deadline if you are applying for September 2017 entry as any experience you have gained will ideally be in your personal statement. Maybe someone at college can help with that.

ReputationRep:
    I've just started a midwifery course and honestly it sounds like you have more relevant experience than half of my cohort (including me!). Keep doing what you're doing and mel's ideas look great too if you have the time to fit more in. I think they're looking for people with enthusiasm and the right values more than people with loads of experience so just make sure you get that across in your personal statement.

I might do a bit of research about what sort of experience people had before they applied and write a separate post about that - thanks for the idea!

Good luck! x

ReputationRep:
    hiya! i am also a student midwife here and you sound like you have done a great bunch of work experience! It doesn't really matter what kind of experience you've done (whether it's working at McDonalds), you just need to show that the skills are transferrable to midwifery. So look at all the work experience you've completed and see how it could fit into midwifery...how will it help you to be a good communicator, being committed, etc. Of course being able to spend time on a maternity ward would be great ( i managed to get 2 placements), but I only did these after I had send my UCAS off. I had only worked in Boots, worked as a peer mentor and done paired reading with kids and managed to get into midwifery first time. I hope this helps and if you have any more questions feel free to ask me

ReputationRep:
    hiya am applying to midwifery degree in sep 17 everyone is saying that its a competitive course and i want to know what grades you got to enter. also how did you write your personal statement and how did the interview process go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sampam12)
    hiya am applying to midwifery degree in sep 17 everyone is saying that its a competitive course and i want to know what grades you got to enter. also how did you write your personal statement and how did the interview process go
    Hi! First of all, welcome to the crazy world of midwifery! It is indeed competitive but it is so worth it! My predicted grades were ABB and I got BBC, A* in my extended project qualification and an E in AS biology. Not the best grades but I managed to get into midwifery at Staffordshire University.

I made a blog post regarding top tips of writing a personal statement, Here is the link:http://blogs.staffs.ac.uk/student-bl...nal-statement/ If you want some more specific tips just ask me and I'll try to help as best as I can.

The interview process was very expensive but not too bad. All uni's required a maths test of some sort so I did a lot of revision using BBC bitesize. Also different unis interview differently, some using one-to-one and some using group interviews. All of them have one aim though, which is to see that you have the potential of being a midwife!

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask me

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.