Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

STUDENTS OF RECENTLY SEPARATED PARENTS.....advice please on FINANCE Watch

ReputationRep:
    It used to be that if your parents were split then you got a grant? I have even heard that some students got a laptop.

Does anyone know what is the current situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belfastmama)
    It used to be that if your parents were split then you got a grant? I have even heard that some students got a laptop.

Does anyone know what is the current situation.
    If you are applying for the means-tested element of a student loan, you will need to check whose income is taken into account - I would assume it's the parent the applicant lives with. I'd start with www.gov.uk/student-finance/overview and work from there. For the standard tuition fees and non-means-tested element, that the applicant's parents are separated shouldn't be an issue.

Students who qualify for disability support may receive a funded laptop if their needs are such that a standard issue laptop with standard software isn't appropriate.

ReputationRep:
    thanks Minerva. My girl has already applied for the non means tested maintenance loan and, since then, dad has chosen to split. When it is all settled I wonder if I could then look at the means-tested route?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belfastmama)
    thanks Minerva. My girl has already applied for the non means tested maintenance loan and, since then, dad has chosen to split. When it is all settled I wonder if I could then look at the means-tested route?
    I can't think of any reason why not. Means-tested loans are reviewed each year anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.