Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are these suitable unis to apply during a gap year? watch

I just finished my A-Levels and got A* (Further Maths) AAA (Maths, Econ, Spanish). Unfortunately for my firm and insurance unis I needed A* Maths and both of them rejected me on results day. I'm now taking a gap year and reapplying, but I'm not sure which unis to apply for.

Originally I applied to:
    Cambridge - firm - A* (Maths) A*AA
    UCL - insurance - A* (Maths) A (Econ) A
    LSE - A* (Maths) AA (Econ, Span) E (FM)
    Warwick - A*AA
    Bath - A*AA

When I applied, I had 4A* prediction. I should easily have achieved A*A*A*A this year (A in Spanish) but underperformed in 2 exams. I'm now going to resit those two which should hopefully get me A*A*A*A or at least A*A*AA.

I eventually want to go into investment banking so it'd be great to end up at a target uni. The unis I've been looking at so far are:
    Oxford - E&M - emailed and they said my grades are fine, offer would be unconditional - normally requirements A*AA
    Warwick - Economics - A*AA
    Bath - Economics - A*AA
    Maybe Nottingham - Economics? - A*AA
    Maybe York - Economics? - AAA

I loved UCL as a uni but they want A* Maths and I'm not sure I'd get an offer there. I don't have the grades to reapply to Cambridge and neither do I want to, and around February time I realised LSE really wasn't for me so I don't want to reapply there either.

Any advice or opinions would be great. Please be honest even if it sounds cruel, I don't want to apply to 5 unis which I don't realistically have a chance of getting offers from!

Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.