Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I've bought this:

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/hp-28...WXQaAkbb8P8HAQ

But it's asking me to set up an internet connection. Do desktops work differently to laptops? I remember when I go my laptop, I just searched for the internet connection and was ready to go.

My router and phone connection aren't near where the desktop will be, how can I connect properly?

Do I need to buy a really long ethernet cable? Or a wifi adapter? Any advice will help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zeldusone)
    So I've bought this:

But it's asking me to set up an internet connection. Do desktops work differently to laptops? I remember when I go my laptop, I just searched for the internet connection and was ready to go.

My router and phone connection aren't near where the desktop will be, how can I connect properly?

Do I need to buy a really long ethernet cable? Or a wifi adapter? Any advice will help
    Do you see a wireless signal in the corner or nothing if nothing you need a wireless card which most desktops need.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...AeL&ref=plSrch

This is a fairly cheap one

ReputationRep:
    So I've bought this:

Desktops usually don't have built in wifi

ReputationRep:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=51_8HmeZ7qc
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    So I've bought this:

I can't see a wireless card mentioned so it's possible you need a wireless adapter. They're cheap, you can get one for a few pounds from Amazon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    I can't see a wireless card mentioned so it's possible you need a wireless adapter. They're cheap, you can get one for a few pounds from Amazon.
    (Original post by niteninja1)
    Desktops usually don't have built in wifi
    Would this work? http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/2592554.htm

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't say so I'd assume not.

Use the Question & Answers facility that's there on the listing. Without meaning to sound patronising you'd be better off asking the people who sold it to you.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It should do, yeah, you can get cheaper ones though.

ReputationRep:
    Yes however it isn't designed for permanent use look at the one I linked on Amazon

ReputationRep:
    Yes however it isn't designed for permanent use look at the one I linked on Amazon
    It should do, yeah, you can get cheaper ones though.

Thanks for your help you two

I went to Argos and got this: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/1420579.htm

I was impatient and didn't want to wait for Amazon.

The desktop is working perfectly and I'm very pleased.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thanks for your help you two

I went to Argos and got this: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/1420579.htm

I was impatient and didn't want to wait for Amazon.

The desktop is working perfectly and I'm very pleased.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend
    Glad that it worked

ReputationRep:
    Glad that it worked
    Also, not sure if you're really into computers, but I bought a 4k HD screen but my intel resolution is 1920 x 1080 and I'm not sure how to increase this?

Thanks
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Also, not sure if you're really into computers, but I bought a 4k HD screen but my intel resolution is 1920 x 1080 and I'm not sure how to increase this?

Thanks
    Assuming you've got the right drivers, type "resolution" into the search thing on the start menu and click on "change the screen resolution". It should then give you an option to change the resolution. However, I'm not sure whether a 4K screen will work properly on your computer because the integrated graphics chip isn't really strong enough.

ReputationRep:
    For 4K you need a decent gpu
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    For 4K you need a decent gpu
    No you don't. Recent built in graphics for modern Intel CPU's support 4K just fine. You don't need a GPU for a single 4K output. If you're doing something more intensive that's a different matter of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    No you don't. Recent built in graphics for modern Intel CPU's support 4K just fine. You don't need a GPU for a single 4K output. If you're doing something more intensive that's a different matter of course.
    Will my machine be okay for the monitor?

I saw an option to override the recommend intel resolution but it said it's at my risk?

Is that normal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    I presume if OP purchased a 4K screen they would be doing more than playing films and movies.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Will my machine be okay for the monitor?

I saw an option to override the recommend intel resolution but it said it's at my risk?

Is that normal?
    It's difficult to say. Officially an i5 6500 will support 4K on integrated graphics. However actual real world performance will vary and ultimately you're not going to get the sort of performance you'd get from a 1080p screen.

It's perfectly normal to get a warning, the computer is trying to tell you that it doesn't think it'll support 4K. And to be honest I doubt your hardware will actually support it. I don't see anything mentioning the port options you have but I highly doubt you'll have a port that can actually output 4K. I'm guessing you've got a single HDMI port?

Why do you actually want 4K? There's no real benefits (besides extra screen real estate) when doing normal tasks. If you try and do anything more intensive like watching videos, playing games, etc. your CPU isn't going to be able to cope.

So yeah, the CPU will support 4K but you won't be running 4K realistically, both due to the internal hardware not really supporting anything that makes use of 4K and (I assume) you're lack of a 4K ready output port. Leave it at 1080p.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    It's difficult to say. Officially an i5 6500 will support 4K on integrated graphics. However actual real world performance will vary and ultimately you're not going to get the sort of performance you'd get from a 1080p screen.

It's perfectly normal to get a warning, the computer is trying to tell you that it doesn't think it'll support 4K. And to be honest I doubt your hardware will actually support it. I don't see anything mentioning the port options you have but I highly doubt you'll have a port that can actually output 4K. I'm guessing you've got a single HDMI port?

Why do you actually want 4K? There's no real benefits (besides extra screen real estate) when doing normal tasks. If you try and do anything more intensive like watching videos, playing games, etc. your CPU isn't going to be able to cope.

So yeah, the CPU will support 4K but you won't be running 4K realistically, both due to the internal hardware not really supporting anything that makes use of 4K and (I assume) you're lack of a 4K ready output port. Leave it at 1080p.
    Thanks for this. Tbh I wasn't sure, the reason I got the 4k was because it was £260 and somewhat future proof should i sell it on. I'm not big on gaming or anything so it's fine. 1080 is pretty clear enough for me I was just wondering
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I presume if OP purchased a 4K screen they would be doing more than playing films and movies.
    Why would you assume that? Many people have 4K displays and purely use them for watching content (look at anyone with a 4K TV).

Not to mention if the OP was actually doing something more intensive on a serious level (gaming, production, etc.) they probably wouldn't have needed to post in the first place. It's more likely they got a 4K monitor without really knowing what they were doing, had it gifted to them or something else along those lines.

But regardless it has nothing to do with what the OP actually wants to do. I was pointing out that you don't actually need a GPU for 4K.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.