Turn on thread page Beta

Is there a way to judge the demand of a course? watch

ReputationRep:
    As title says really.

I want to judge the deamnd of my first choice course - how many people have applied for the course. I'm worried that if demand for my course is very high, and lets say for arguments sake I get exactly 280, then I'm worried that I won't get in and people with higher points who have applied for the course (maybe those who have made the course oversold - more demand than there is supply) will actually get in.

Is there any method for me to find out how many people have applied to the course I've applied to as firm choice? I'm thinking about emailing the admissions tutor for the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GSS)
    Is there any method for me to find out how many people have applied to the course I've applied to as firm choice? I'm thinking about emailing the admissions tutor for the course.
    Sounds like a good ploy. Nobody will be able to divulge information concerning application statistics (for this year's application cycle) other than the university.

If you wish to have a look at last year's application statistics, Brian Heap's Degree Course Offers 2005, has good summarative data - including application statistics (for the 2003 cycle).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GSS)
    As title says really.

I want to judge the deamnd of my first choice course - how many people have applied for the course. I'm worried that if demand for my course is very high, and lets say for arguments sake I get exactly 280, then I'm worried that I won't get in and people with higher points who have applied for the course (maybe those who have made the course oversold - more demand than there is supply) will actually get in.

What's your offer? If it's 280 points, and you get 280 points, they legally have to let you in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GSS)
    As title says really.

yep email the admission tutors, im writing an email to forward to about 20 unis atm

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to email the admission tutor but what worries me is that they won't reply.

What else worries me (lol) is that if I phone the uni up on results day and there is 1 place left and 2 students who want the place - me with 280 points and someone else with say 300 points or higher, then they will go for the person with 300 points. Although I suppose the course might just getoversubscribed and have more demand then there is supply and the lecturers will say "those who do poorly in assessments will be off the course". Something they did in my A level subjects due to too many students on the course (same situation).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GSS)
    I'm going to email the admission tutor but what worries me is that they won't reply.

What else worries me (lol) is that if I phone the uni up on results day and there is 1 place left and 2 students who want the place - me with 280 points and someone else with say 300 points or higher, then they will go for the person with 300 points. Although I suppose the course might just getoversubscribed and have more demand then there is supply and the lecturers will say "those who do poorly in assessments will be off the course". Something they did in my A level subjects due to too many students on the course (same situation).
    How many points do you need to meet your offer?

ReputationRep:
    No matter what happens, they have to let you in as you met their requirements.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.brunel.ac.uk/courses/ug/B/BUS-COMP.shtml - that's my course.

280 points, no preferred subjects or grades.

I think my concerns stem from the advisory letter I got from UCAS today which it said everyone will get despite their position/situation regarding UCAS. It mentioned something about course demand getting high on results day - can't remember.

I think I'm just suffering from a bad case of "post exams-pre exam results" day stress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GSS)
    [url]

Then if you get 280 points, they HAVE to let you in. If you make your offer, there's no way they can go back on it. So don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    That's true. Sometimes when the course is full and you met the requirements, they might not accept you.

(Original post by trev1122)
    That's true. Sometimes when the course is full and you met the requirements, they might not accept you.
    No it's not!!! If you meet all the conditions of your offer then you are GUARANTEED a place (whether the coure is oversubscribed or not)!!! If they tried to reject me after I met the terms of my offer then I would have the single best law-suit in the history of university admissions and I would therefore no longer need uni because I would be filthy rich!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev1122)
    Odd change of mind from your previous post in this thread lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    No it's not!!! If you meet all the conditions of your offer then you are GUARANTEED a place (whether the coure is oversubscribed or not)!!! If they tried to reject me after I met the terms of my offer then I would have the single best law-suit in the history of university admissions and I would therefore no longer need uni because I would be filthy rich!!!
    Hahahahaha!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GSS)
    http://www.brunel.ac.uk/courses/ug/B/BUS-COMP.shtml - that's my course.

I think my concerns stem from the advisory letter I got from UCAS today which it said everyone will get despite their position/situation regarding UCAS. It mentioned something about course demand getting high on results day - can't remember.

I think I'm just suffering from a bad case of "post exams-pre exam results" day stress.

Everyone gets that letter. I got the same one last year.

It's just general advise.

"Course demand getting high on results day" - more likely that demand on the phone lines at your firm/insurance choices and at UCAS is going to be high, and to be patient !

Don't worry. If you make the offer that they gave you, they have to let you in - their legal obligation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GSS)
    As title says really.

i doubt theyd actually tell u for real.. when i was stressed about not getting in, they were very vague and gave me like a "set response" : "we will do whatever is required in the situation... blah blah blah" lol.

well, look at last yr's figures for a start. Is it good for your subject, if, so the demand is likely to be high. Similarly, if they had to raise the entry grades like they did for min, they suggest that its overly suscribed. And of course, if it is "well known" for it to be popular... well, there's some factors to consider...

Hope that helps! and dont stress! -you've got the whole summer to have fun!!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.