Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi guys! :-)
    I want to apply for nursing in 2018 as I'm doing and access course next year! I want to apply to Manchester, Salford, Edge hill, Bolton and uclan. I'm just wondering if anyone can think of any good work expirience ideas I could try and do before then as trying to get work expirience in a hospital is proving difficult! and any hints and tips you might have to help me along the application process?
    Thanks! :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmaloubie)
    I want to apply for nursing in 2018 as I'm doing and access course next year! I want to apply to Manchester, Salford, Edge hill, Bolton and uclan. I'm just wondering if anyone can think of any good work expirience ideas I could try and do before then as trying to get work expirience in a hospital is proving difficult! and any hints and tips you might have to help me along the application process?
    Get a job as a health care assistant. Go work in nursing homes, and if possible, in hospitals. It would be worth checking if your local hospital is recruiting. If not, you could try a staffing agency.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    There's a sticky post called the ultimate work experience thread-with ideas on here that you will find useful. Worth asking your local NHS trust if they do work experience or shadow shifts.

ReputationRep:
    I got a job in a care home and then I signed up to nhs jobs and just narrowed my emails to healthcare assistant and literally applied for every single job. Finally got one after my 5th application. I ended up staying longer than planned though I loved it! I was there nearly 3 years. At my interview for uclan my hca experience was all they where interested in really!

ReputationRep:
    Care experience helps and awful lot, and gives you a bit of an insight into the nurse's role, however it can be difficult to find care work. There's some good suggestions in this thread already, another think to look at would be St John Ambulance or the Red Cross. In the end, for your application it helps to reflect the experience you have onto the role of a nurse, for example, dealing with upset customers in a shop or restaurant job, you will inevitably have to deal with upset people as a nurse. Volunteering with the scouts or guides helps you learn how children interact and use play, really important for childrens nurses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmaloubie)
    There is already a designated thread to work experience ideas Please see here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...7#post58928667

Care home

Nursery

Hospital

Day care centres

residential homes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PaediatricStN)
    There is already a designated thread to work experience ideas Please see here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...7#post58928667
    Working in a residential or nursing home can be great experience. When I started my access course I changed jobs and went from working in retail to working in a residential home as a care assistant. I feel this is what helped me gain my place at university for next year because when applying for any type of nursing I was told universities expect you to have some experience.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.