Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished GCSEs and I'm going into a levels (studying Maths Biology Geography and Chemistry) in these four subjects I got As and A*s and also passed all of my other GCSEs with Bs.

I got an A in chemistry, only 2 UMS off an A* I think, 338/400!!! I want to do a science or chemistry related course at university. Will I have a much better chance if I get it remarked to an A*? What is the chance that they would find an extra mark or two? If I just get good grades at a level will it matter that I only got an A in chemistry instead of an A*?

ReputationRep:
    definitely remark

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmamccorquodale)
    I've just finished GCSEs and I'm going into a levels (studying Maths Biology Geography and Chemistry) in these four subjects I got As and A*s and also passed all of my other GCSEs with Bs.

I got an A in chemistry, only 2 UMS off an A* I think, 338/400!!! I want to do a science or chemistry related course at university. Will I have a much better chance if I get it remarked to an A*? What is the chance that they would find an extra mark or two? If I just get good grades at a level will it matter that I only got an A in chemistry instead of an A*?
    338/400? That's 22UMS off an A*, an A* is always 90% UMS, unless you're confusing raw marks and UMS marks.

ReputationRep:
    As _gcx said, it's 22. I got 361 for Chemistry, just scrapping the A* boundary. for physics I got 359, which is an A. Don't think it's worth the remark, sorry

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't remark, I would only say remark if you were one off.

ReputationRep:
    The UMS grade boundary for an A* is 360 for the sciences so you were way off. Sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by romansholiday)
    The UMS grade boundary for an A* is 360 for the sciences so you were way off. Sorry
    Thought it was 340 lol! Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDS16)
    As _gcx said, it's 22. I got 361 for Chemistry, just scrapping the A* boundary. for physics I got 359, which is an A. Don't think it's worth the remark, sorry
    Don't know where I got the idea it was 340, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    338/400? That's 22UMS off an A*, an A* is always 90% UMS, unless you're confusing raw marks and UMS marks.
    Oh whoops! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmamccorquodale)
    Thought it was 340 lol! Thanks guys
    Haha don't worry. UMS is such a confusing concept

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.