The Student Room Group

Warnings over Brexit from the big powers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by InnerTemple
But we make our own deals! Look at the really rubbish deal the Swiss got with China. We could have that one day!

Lol.

It's a free marketeers wet dream but I personally don't want free trade with China. We can kiss goodbye to what's left of UK manufacturing if we do.
Do we want trade deals with these countries? How will it benefit us to have our markets flooded with with cheap goods?

If you really think that we will start playing the US and Russia/China off against other, then you're very, very silly.

Your a pro-EU I ain't going to bother, but watch and see what will happen, China/Russia/India already want trade deals, USA is putting us at " back of line " apprently. This scenario is possible.
Original post by ckfeister
Your a pro-EU I ain't going to bother

You don't bother engaging with people who disagree with you?

Oh well. That's a shame.
Reply 23
I hope the Tories use common sense and just stay in the EU it's either that or we'll be in a complete mess in a few years time when we officially leave
This is just nonsense coming from foreign leaders who don't have the UK's best interests at heart. Who needs the likes of Japan and the US?

What the UK needs to do is concentrate on forging new trade deals with economic powerhouses such as Japan and the US.

...oh.

I hear that Kyrgyzstan is in search of a trade deal.

Also Burundi doesn't want to be left out.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I was using a turn of phrase. The point is that May is publicly acting as though the wafer thin majority for Leave after a highly distorted, lying, manipulated campaign of lies and deceit by leading Leavers is final and unchangeable. That has to be bull and we should call it that. The fact that she has the same problems Cameron had with feral backbenchers and demented frontbenchers is not a rational basis for planning our economic future.

It was not a "campaign of lies" nor filled with the "feral" and "demented", that's just hyperbolic nonsense. You're also forgetting that the remain campaign was ineffectual and weak, i.e. Corbyn embodied, and if it was not, perhaps that deciding 1 million would have voted the other way.

This had nothing to do with political evil; it was simply a disconnection between people and both parties, and the highlighting of that via the referendum I am certainly glad about. It's the first time in a long time we've seen the tangible flaw of UK politics for the majority of the population.

However, I agree we ought to have a second referendum, but only if it allows for us to choose on an immigration strategy with your vote, whether that it is exit or remain.
Original post by JamesN88
Lol.

It's a free marketeers wet dream but I personally don't want free trade with China. We can kiss goodbye to what's left of UK manufacturing if we do.

Presumably any trade deal with China would include lots of "no dumping" clauses, but given that China currently totally ignores obligations under the WTO to not dump, one is not hopeful that it would amount to much. I doubt that complaints from London will register all that strongly in Beijing.
UK politicians have a responsibility to the UK electorate, not to some random guy the other side of the world.
Theresa May has flown into China to receive a wave of warnings and cold rebuttals from world leaders about Brexit.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37269916

Obama says there won't be a separate trade deal with the UK for a long time to come, a big blow for the confidence Brexiteers spouted during the campaign about how easy it would be to conjure up new trade deals to replace the old ones. May is starting this process off with Australia - not exactly one of the biggest economies - currently about 20th in most tables. :lol:

The EU is demanding to know if we intend to stay in the Single Market. Apparently, led by the Tory idiots who got us into this mess in the first place, the direction of travel is to leave. As soon as that is announced, the UK economy will plunge down, dozens of major companies will start to prepare to leave and the £ will hit rock bottom and inflation and unemployment will surge. No surprise that the government aren't saying! :rolleyes:

We have a long way to go, but with May constantly stating that Brexit is a done deal (when really it should be voted on in Parliament and a deal put to the nation in another referendum), it's already clear that the government we have are too incompetent to manage this well and things are going to get bad - as May herself admitted today. :angry:

Brexit
[Brex-it]

noun
1. Brexit

Brexit means Brexit.
Original post by Observatory
Brexit
[Brex-it]

noun
1. Brexit

Brexit means Brexit.

I imagine you could go up to a bunch of Leavers and they'd all have a different idea as to what "Brexit" means for the UK.
Original post by Gadero
Brexit won't touch the FTSE 100, most of those corporations are dollar earners and operate on a global basis. Think Unilever, Shell, BP, Diageo,British American Tobacco. These are global companies, it will be business as usual for them. It's in their benefit to stay in the UK, we can turn into a tax haven and do what ireland is doing for apple.

The FTSE 250 may get hit, especially anyone exporting or importing into the EU, the EU will most likely tax us heavy on goods we buy from them. Though right now the EU needs us more than we need them, so there is always room for negotiation.

I think brexit is a good thing, change is always good. The EU project has been a failure in my eyes, letting in poorer nations who can't deal with such a strong currency like the euro.

Since when is the stock exchange a reliable indicator of growth? Some economists in the media really are dopey.
Original post by JoeyTr
We live in a democracy, there is no one to blame but the general public for bad decisions when it comes to a referendum, even if those decisions are influenced by ill-formed media trying to sell their front page, can't blame anyone but the people.

That is a clear contradiction.

The people aren't to blame - poor leadership is to blame. If I was leading a country and the people voted against me, I would not think "those morons have made a bad decision", I'd think "I've failed to convince the people and to properly manage the country". The media is the least of our worries compared to the massive divide between people and politics that this referendum exposed.
Original post by Observatory
Brexit
[Brex-it]

noun
1. Brexit

Brexit means Brexit.

Brexit
[Brex-it]

noun
1. Brexit

Brexit (Urban sl.) A broken system of decision making; any catastrophic decision taken by a tiny minority tricking people; a larger type of 'long con'. (See: confidence trick, etc.)
Original post by kimkarsd
Since when is the stock exchange a reliable indicator of growth? Some economists in the media really are dopey.

Ah yes, the obsession with stock markets, as displayed on numerous 'business' slots on TV/radio, which are in fact not about business at all, but about gambling markets.
Brexit
[Brex-it]

noun
1. Brexit

Brexit (Urban sl.) A broken system of decision making; any catastrophic decision taken by a tiny minority tricking people; a larger type of 'long con'. (See: confidence trick, etc.)

Remain
[Re-main]

collective noun
1. Sore losers
And Brexiters will whine democracy even when things go wrong with Brexit. Yes, we voted to leave, but if we: cant get any trade deals, are disliked by the EU and still get the boatloads of refugees from Calais coming through (it's not as if they're gonna say "they're out of the EU, we can go back to Syria/Sudan/Eritrea/Iraq now", they'll keep trying), is there much point in continuing down that shoddy path or should we call it a day and just stay in.

Also, people saying "Oh, who needs China/Japan/USA/FYR Macedonia", we bloody do. Most of our goods are made in cheap labour in east Asia, OK, it's unethical and we can help to improve that, but completely cutting them off by not having any trade deals also gets us nowhere (and costs more).
(edited 7 years ago)
Given that trade with non-EU nations is increasing despite a lack of existing free trade agreements, i'm not sure why it's significant that some may not be in a rush to sign one.

Since we have a trade surplus with non-EU nations without free trade agreements then even if some don't give us one, we can still sign them with smaller countries, still maintain our non-EU trade surplus and still grow exports.

People are far too pessimistic.
We won't be leaving the EU. It's quite obvious that Theresa May's job is to delay Brexit as long as possible until public opinion shifts, get some horrible exit deal and then put it to a new referendum.

I voted leave and I am completely against any deal that allows free movement of people, so we absolutely must leave the single market. If Theresa May can't present a deal to the country that allows us to control immigration, IE offers us a Norway or Switzerland style deal then I would rather we stay in the EU because doing that kind of deal is effectively staying while giving away our voice on EU affairs.

Obama is a dickhead, nothing less. I used to think he was a great president but this Brexit business has changed my opinion. When the USA needs help fighting one of their wars the UK is the first country to come help them, yet when we need their help we're back of the queue? What the actual ****? I hope next time the US need support for a war we tell them where to go.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21
Given that trade with non-EU nations is increasing despite a lack of existing free trade agreements, i'm not sure why it's significant that some may not be in a rush to sign one.

Since we have a trade surplus with non-EU nations without free trade agreements then even if some don't give us one, we can still sign them with smaller countries, still maintain our non-EU trade surplus and still grow exports.

People are far too pessimistic.

The really important issue is the Single Market - there's been this pretense from Leave that we couldn't have trade with other countries because of the EU, which was never true - but we did drop some old preferential trade arrangements with Commonwealth countries when we joined the EU. We might get some additional trade with those countries now, but it could never remotely make up for the lost trade volumes if we pull out of the SM.

I think the truth is, we won't, but that doesn't mean that there aren't very worrying signals in the meantime and it appears that the May government is going to string things out for quite a long time whilst it figures out how to sell staying in the Single Market to the assorted extremists and lunatics in the Tory Party.
Obama pre Brexit: The United Kingdom must accept being put to the back of the queue. NO TRADE, NO COOPERATION, NO FRIENDSHIP. The special relationship is OVER.

Obama now: Dear UK, our best ally and friend: We would love to trade with you. Let me be clear you have not been put to the back.

What a joker :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending