Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So many people get divorced, and it seems that the women always come out better. We see the likes of millionaires marrying young women, and when they divorce the woman gets half of his wealth. How is that fair? How can a man work all his life, and have it all taken away by a woman marrying then divorcing him. The women get the house, even if paid for by the husband, the women get the kids, how is this fair?

ReputationRep:
    Well people say for a man to earn say 1 million pounds whilst married the wife would have done something ( she could be a housewife and look after the house whilst the man is breadwinner) meaning she may feel entitled to some of the money.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by That'sGreat)
    So many people get divorced, and it seems that the women always come out better. We see the likes of millionaires marrying young women, and when they divorce the woman gets half of his wealth. How is that fair? How can a man work all his life, and have it all taken away by a woman marrying then divorcing him. The women get the house, even if paid for by the husband, the women get the kids, how is this fair?
    Women always come out better?

Its often the case if there are children involved that the woman is the one who has given up the career to look after the children. They get the right to rmeian in the house because its needed to raise the kids. Once the kids grow up then the house can be sold and split between the parties. Childrens interests are paramount.

How much money they get depends on things like how long they were married and whether theres a pre nup. the latter are increasingly common. Your example is poor one with substantiation.

You really could do with reading up some family law to see how it works becayse you have a very distorted view based on incirrect understanding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That'sGreat)
    Yea the whole of your post is incorrect.

Children are usually split 50/50 in custody.

If you have a housewife and a male earner it works the same as a house husband and a female earner.

It rarely splits 50/50, it has all sorts of factors brought into what the split is such as length of marriage, maintenance payments to keep a certain standard of living etc.

In the case of gold diggers that's the problem for the high worth individual. Poor judgement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think that assets brought into the marriage should be protected. Other than that though, it is fair for everything to be up for grabs. Married couples are a unit. There is no he paid for the house if they are married. They paid for it as a couple unless, as I said it was paid for before they got married.

Though there are always examples of dodgy decisions, I generally trust the courts to be fair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sternumator)
    I think that assets brought into the marriage should be protected. Other than that though, it is fair for everything to be up for grabs. Married couples are a unit. There is no he paid for the house if they are married. They paid for it as a couple unless, as I said it was paid for before they got married.

Though there are always examples of dodgy decisions, I generally trust the courts to be fair.
    What if the assets brought into the marriage is all that's left when it comes to divorce say 20 years later?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    What if the assets brought into the marriage is all that's left when it comes to divorce say 20 years later?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If, as a couple, they haven't accumulated any assets in 20 years, then the marriage hasn't created any material wealth to divide.

I don't think amount of time married matters. If you had it before you married, I think you should keep it.

ReputationRep:
    If, as a couple, they haven't accumulated any assets in 20 years, then the marriage hasn't created any material wealth to divide.

I don't think amount of time married matters. If you had it before you married, I think you should keep it.
    So the material well being of the other party doesn't matter....

Ok we know why your not a judge

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    So the material well being of the other party doesn't matter....

Ok we know why your not a judge

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why should they get wealth that they did not contribute to creating in any way?

ReputationRep:
    Why should they get wealth that they did not contribute to creating in any way?
    Because I'm that example they would have spent the last 20 years as a couple making choices based on the fact that they both had that wealth

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 5, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.