The Student Room Group

Come along; experience my A-level journey with me!

:heart::heart::heart::wavey::wavey::wavey: Hey there! Welcome to my A-level experience blog!:wavey::wavey::wavey::heart::heart::heart:
Firstly, I'd like to thank all those who made my GCSE experience that little bit easier. The beauty of this website is that we can support one another through what we like to deem a 'gruelling' time: revision, exams, and of course, stress. After all, we're all in the same boat, and indeed 'all in this together' (nice HSM reference :wink: ) Another great thing about this site is that the vast majority of us on here want to succeed and have the ambition of fulfilling our absolute potential. As a result, we've shared some excellent points with one another (helping us get those A*s :wink: )

Lots of luck to you all with your A-levels, and I hope you'd be interested in seeing how I do. I'll try and post as frequently as possible!

My GCSE results, if you're interested:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SophFlorence
Firstly, I'd like to thank all those who made my GCSE experience that little bit easier. The beauty of this website is that we can support one another through what we like to deem a 'gruelling' time: revision, exams, and of course, stress. After all, we're all in the same boat, and indeed 'all in this together' (nice HSM reference :wink: ) Another great thing about this site is that the vast majority of us on here want to succeed and have the ambition of fulfilling our absolute potential. As a result, we've shared some excellent points with one another (helping us get those A*s :wink: )

Lots of luck to you all with your A-levels, and I hope you'd be interested in seeing how I do. I'll try and post as frequently as possible!

My GCSE results:

Spoiler

Those are a really good set of GCSE results so well done, hopefully you can 'soar' with your A-level grades too :wink: what are you studying? German perhaps? :tongue:
Original post by SeanFM
Those are a really good set of GCSE results so well done, hopefully you can 'soar' with your A-level grades too :wink: what are you studying? German perhaps? :tongue:

Thank you very, very much! :smile: Yup, I sure am studying German, alongside Business Studies, Philosophy and English Lit. :biggrin: Thanks for the reply :smile:

My GCSE results:

Spoiler

You've made it yay !! Well done and I will be following this :smile: Do keep us updated :biggrin: x
Original post by nisha.sri
You've made it yay !! Well done and I will be following this :smile: Do keep us updated :biggrin: x

Hahah- yay! I will do, Nisha! :smile: Thank you Xx

Hooray you've made one too:smile: I hope we will be able to support each other and others on this thread throughout our alevels and share our experiences:smile: Good luck and I hope you achieve the best you can:h:
Original post by starstudent7
Hooray you've made one too:smile: I hope we will be able to support each other and others on this thread throughout our alevels and share our experiences:smile: Good luck and I hope you achieve the best you can:h:

Yeaaahh! :biggrin: I hope so too- it'd be great if we could re-live our GCSE experience support-wise! :smile: Thank you so much!

By the way, here's the survey! Thanks for saying you'd fill one out :smile:
Update-05/09/2016

Today I had an induction morning. Basically, we had an assembly, had our photos taken (for our ID badges), collected our planners, etc. In short, it was a morning of admin! :smile: On Friday, I have an induction for a couple of hours at a school two of my courses' lessons will also be running at. This will involve me getting the bus from my Post 16 Centre, to the other. I look forward to this as I feel it's important to get into the routine of using the school bus as soon as possible! Then Sixth Form officially kick starts for me next Monday!

I don't know about you guys, but I'm really looking forward to learning new things and studying again! :colondollar:
Update:06/09/2016

Today has not been a productive day whatsoever. But with hours still remaining, I'm going to try and read some more Wuthering Heights and choose an extract for my English Literature project. Then I might do some German grammar revision :biggrin:
06/09/2016 21:05

Ok, so I read a couple of more chapters of Wuthering Heights, and I think I actually understand it now. At first I found it soooo confusing, because of all the different family relations going on, and the fact there are two Catherines :redface: But, wow, Emily Bronte, what a powerful read this is proving to be :biggrin:
06/09/2016 21:05

Ok, so I read a couple of more chapters of Wuthering Heights, and I think I actually understand it now. At first I found it soooo confusing, because of all the different family relations going on, and the fact there are two Catherines :redface: But, wow, Emily Bronte, what a powerful read this is proving to be :biggrin:

Update:06/09/2016

Today has not been a productive day whatsoever. But with hours still remaining, I'm going to try and read some more Wuthering Heights and choose an extract for my English Literature project. Then I might do some German grammar revision :biggrin:

Well done your doing a lot of work !! Keep it up and good luck x
Well done your doing a lot of work !! Keep it up and good luck x

Thank you, Nisha. Sorry- for some odd reason, my notifications didn't notify me about your post :frown: xx
Apologies for the lack of updates, but this one's going to be good: :smile:

16/09/2016

So, my first week of Post 16 is officially done and dusted. My initial opinion? Love it. Why? Freedom. Why else? Cool subjects. My favourite subject at the moment? Business Studies. Why? Just love it. Lol. Basically, we've been learning about why businesses exist (IK, basic stuff), and aims and objectives of businesses. I just find it so interesting. I can't wait until we get to marketing, because that was my favourite topic at GCSE :smile:

With regards to other subjects, they've been good, but not quite as good as Business Studies yet. :smile: But in all fairness, it's only been a week, so things could very easily change. :smile:

I hope you've been enjoying your Alevels so far.

Sophie. xx
(edited 7 years ago)

Spoiler

Trying something new. 17/09/2016
:tongue:
IMG_5288.jpg

Sorry, Nisha. You're inspiring to me :biggrin:
Trying something new. 17/09/2016
:tongue:
IMG_5288.jpg

Sorry, Nisha. You're inspiring to me :biggrin:

That looks amazing :smile:
Haha lol :biggrin:
That looks amazing :smile:
Haha lol :biggrin:

Hehe. Thanks! x
UPDATE- 17/09/2016

Today, I've been relatively productive. I've finished my Philosophy homework (which I feel like I mucked up, but I tried it anyway), and I'm 3/4 way through my German homework. For Philosophy, I had to read a few pages of a textbook and make sense of it, which, by the way, is about cosmological arguments (not disputes, lol; an INTELLECTUAL argument which puts forward a theory :biggrin:). It's bloomin' confusing because there are two ways of arguing apparently: arguments with inductive reasoning, and the other with deductive reasoning. Yup, same. I don't even know. But, for my own benefit, I'm just going to try and explain in to you, if you're interested:

INDUCTIVE reasoning follows a bottom-up process. It involves basing our conclusions on premises of which we obtain through our senses, which is known as 'empirical'. With regards to how this would be laid out in an argumentative essay, you'd start with your premises (the points, basically),and end with the conclusion. That's because, since the premises have been obtained through our own senses, you need to explain these first before you actually claim something. You cannot possibly make a rash claim, such as 'Humans are telapthic', without explaining how you've arrived at the conclusion first. Nobody's going to bother reading your essay, otherwise. Just to add to this, inductive reasoning is more so based on personal experiences, which you use to make a prediction. Therefore, the premises may very well be true, but the conclusion could be false. It's like saying: There's always a tornado on a Saturday. Today is Saturday. There will be a tornado today. Ok, the points might be quite right, but how can you know for a FACT, that there will be a tornado?

DEDUCTIVE reasoning, on the contrary, involves a top-down process. Essentially, the points spell out the claim. It's bloody obvious, basically. Therefore, you can start your essay with the conclusion/claim. For example: I might say: ' "triangles have three sides". No duh. Then, you'd go on to explain why. Simple, eh? Kinda. But it sure took me ages to understand in my brain. To add to this even more, deductive reasoning is literally just logical. For example: All Iphones have Siri. I have an Iphone. Therefore my Iphone must have Siri. IT MAKES SENSE! LOGIC. LOL. Therefore, you don't need past experience to figure this one out. Dun dun dun....
(edited 7 years ago)
My friend takes philosophy too and she was talking about the 'today is saturday thing' the other day Sounds interesting 😋 Good luck. What are you aiming to get at As/ mocks ? 😊
My friend takes philosophy too and she was talking about the 'today is saturday thing' the other day Sounds interesting 😋 Good luck. What are you aiming to get at As/ mocks ? 😊

Hahah! Awesome! It is very interesting, to be fair. Thank you. Hmmm. I don't know at this moment in time. Since I've only had one week, it's hard to judge. I think once I've got a good idea of the complexity/easiness of the courses, I can let you know. But, hey, all As would be lush, wouldn't it? :biggrin:

How about you? x

Quick Reply