The Student Room Group

Games art degree

Hi all,

I am thinking about applying to a computer games art degree, but I am very unsure about the whole ordeal about whether or not this course is right for me. I am far more into art then actual gaming (but I do enjoy both!), and I know that most courses focus primarily on 3d modelling and environment creation like De Montford, however I'd much rather go on a degree/course that focuses on 2d/illustration/concept design more. I've been told De Montford isn't the best place to go for that kind of area.

There are always illustration courses, but they don't really seem to be focused around the same sort of fantasy scifi genre that games primarily (can) focus around.

So I was basically wondering if any one else knew of other universities that do games art /digital art courses that allow you to do more of a 2d concept/illustration take on game design and have more of a mix between both fine art and digital art? If there was a course that offered 3d, animation, concept art but didn't make you focus on one aspect straight away?

Or if there are any people on a games art course could you tell me a bit about the kind of things they ask you to produce? Also how many people are roughly on the course, wouldn't think it was a particularly popular course?

Thank you so much for your time, I know there have been quite few questions and a few older threads for games art/design but I haven't really found any for 2017 entry.

Thanks!!!
Have a look at goldsmiths university courses :tongue:
Original post by Tithan
Hi all,

I am thinking about applying to a computer games art degree, but I am very unsure about the whole ordeal about whether or not this course is right for me. I am far more into art then actual gaming (but I do enjoy both!), and I know that most courses focus primarily on 3d modelling and environment creation like De Montford, however I'd much rather go on a degree/course that focuses on 2d/illustration/concept design more. I've been told De Montford isn't the best place to go for that kind of area.

There are always illustration courses, but they don't really seem to be focused around the same sort of fantasy scifi genre that games primarily (can) focus around.

So I was basically wondering if any one else knew of other universities that do games art /digital art courses that allow you to do more of a 2d concept/illustration take on game design and have more of a mix between both fine art and digital art? If there was a course that offered 3d, animation, concept art but didn't make you focus on one aspect straight away?

Or if there are any people on a games art course could you tell me a bit about the kind of things they ask you to produce? Also how many people are roughly on the course, wouldn't think it was a particularly popular course?

Thank you so much for your time, I know there have been quite few questions and a few older threads for games art/design but I haven't really found any for 2017 entry.

Thanks!!!

Hi Tithan!

If you are interested you could take a look into the animation course at Ravensbourne, it is very diverse in terms of focus being on 3D however you still have the freedom to explore into 2D. :smile:
Click Me
It can be hard to find the perfect course, and there are always going to be some aspects that you wish were different however you should think of it as finding a course that can give you the applicable skills you need. For example 3d modelling if you are interesting in game design.

Hope this helps!
Jay :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest