Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So i'm going to university... and i just checked the train tickets, its £1,655 for an annual ticket!!!

Can anyone suggest an alternative, I am going to Royal Holloway (egham) from the south west London area (in total less then 10 stations but 2 different trains). Is there cheaper tickets or is there a bursary available?

thanks! - hopefully someone who is going there now can tell me how they are doing it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robo233)
    Hi,

So i'm going to university... and i just checked the train tickets, its £1,655 for an annual ticket!!!

Can anyone suggest an alternative, I am going to Royal Holloway (egham) from the south west London area (in total less then 10 stations but 2 different trains). Is there cheaper tickets or is there a bursary available?

thanks! - hopefully someone who is going there now can tell me how they are doing it
    The price for an annual ticket sounds about right. However why do you need an annual ticket? University terms are short and the holidays long, you will only be at uni for roughly half the year, certainly nowhere near 52 weeks. And you might not have to go in every day either. When you have your timetable you need to compare the cost of a day ticket x however many days you need to go in, with the cost of a weekly ticket. If you get daily tickets, then if you have days where you can travel off peak then that will get you a discount. If you have a 16-25 rail card you can get discounts off tickets of more than £12 which are purchased after 9:30am. You can also look into split ticketing, where to get from A to C you buy one ticket from A to B and another from B to C. And you might find if any of your journey is covered by oyster card you can use that and just buy a ticket to cover the bit of the journey not covered by oyster.

Whichever option works out cheapest for you, the maintainance loan is meant to cover travel costs like this, there is no specific bursary for it.

ReputationRep:
    If you're living at home its expected that will use your loan for the costs but £1655 for an annual ticket in London really isn't that bad..

ReputationRep:
    Depends where abouts in SW London, it may be cheaper to use Oyster as far as Feltham (two stops up the line from Egham) and standard tickets from then onward.

Even so, that's the going rate for an annual ticket.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robo233)
    Hi,

After a (very) quick look at Royal Holloway term dates, I reckon you'll be in uni around 27 weeks a year. An annual ticket will be a waste of money unless you plan to do a *lot* of studying on campus during the holidays. Try costing out the weekly and monthly tickets - you'll find that a combination of those for term-time only, will work out much cheaper.

As other posters have said, this is what your Maintenance Loan is for.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.