Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting college next Thursday, and I'm kinda nervous. This is gonna sound so weird lol: basically it's a predominantly black college and I feel like I don't fit in with the black girls (I'm black btw). All my life I've had mainly white friends and hung around white people and most black people tell me that I "act white" or "listen to white people music" even to the point where I got called a white girl. I'm comfortable around white & black people but i feel like I don't fit in with blacks because I don't have your typical "black girl stereotypes": rap music, long extensions etc.

I suffer from a mild stutter so talking to new people (especially black) makes me nervous aswell .

I don't want to change college because they've got the exact courses I want to take
    ANYWAYS😂😭 has anyone got any tips for me to overcome all this? I need help😂

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it, i'm black myself, but I don't like to hang out with certain black people I usually stick to the white kids at my school or asians. You will find people there who are just like yourself, so enjoy it and goodluck! Also wish me luck for tomorrow i'm starting too
    And as for your stutter it's normal no one will find it weird

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naahema)
    I'm starting college next Thursday, and I'm kinda nervous. This is gonna sound so weird lol: basically it's a predominantly black college and I feel like I don't fit in with the black girls (I'm black btw). All my life I've had mainly white friends and hung around white people and most black people tell me that I "act white" or "listen to white people music" even to the point where I got called a white girl. I'm comfortable around white & black people but i feel like I don't fit in with blacks because I don't have your typical "black girl stereotypes": rap music, long extensions etc.

I suffer from a mild stutter so talking to new people (especially black) makes me nervous aswell .

I don't want to change college because they've got the exact courses I want to take
    ANYWAYS😂😭 has anyone got any tips for me to overcome all this? I need help😂
    You just described me exactly lmao. Minus the stuttering course.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.