The fleet expands - Bought a 4 pot! Watch

gbduo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
He is from Surrey Ryan...

I would so put that car in a locked garage and keep it there. I reckon cars like this will become modern classics soon, especially one such as this in excellent condition.

Amazing find!
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah early Metro's are becoming very rare, I know this one is not a very early one (mk1.5?) as it has the 1985 dashboard and revised front headlights but it is still a very rare car. To make this worth a lot in the future though it will probably need restoring back to factory condition. E.g original Austin steering wheel and black bumpers.
Tofufi
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Awesome car

A bit of inspiration for ya...

http://www.churchfarmbarnsnorfolk.co.../rcc%20016.JPG

does a 17 second 1/4 mile, has an A series turbo engine and banded steel wheels. I want it!

Metros make great street sleepers

sauce
Badges: 13
Report 11 years ago
His GB flag suggests not :p:
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Its a very early Mk2 actually.

I keep seeing turbo kits on ebay... but then... ive already got a 3.5 litre V8 to play with. It'll never keep up with that so, other than maintainence, i'm not throwing any money at all at it. Well... I might convert it to EDIS 4? I know triggerwheel.co.uk do a specially modified a series pulley with 36-1 teeth for EDIS conversions.

GAH! stop corrupting me! It's fine as it is I think.
Tofufi
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I like distributors, but they can be a bit of a pain to set up so EDIS might be a good idea

Go on, turbo it! Be a proper sleeper with enough work. Especially in OAP hearing-aid-beige or a similar colour you could really scare the locals

Given enough head work, valves etc you could make it fly with a nice turbo
Friggerpants
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Sick as **** dude!
Pookie
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You bringing it to BL\BMC day?
JC.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pookie)
You bringing it to BL\BMC day?
Wasnt aware of this show? Linky?
Pookie
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hi,

The show doesn't have its own website, there is some more info on the Rover 200 website though under events (www.rover200.org.uk). It happens every year, first weekend of August (this Sunday) at Nene Park in Peterborough. For all BL/BMC, Austin-Rover, Rover cars.
JC.
Rep:
?
ah... it wont be insured till the end of the month unfortunately.
I cant drive it now i'm the registered keeper.
Pookie
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Shame, always a few mettys which go. I will be there in the 200 and a Maestro Turbo.
JC.
Rep:
?
Im quite looking forward to using it actually.
Should be a laugh. Never had a FWD car before. I'll have to learn to drive all over again.
nmt_oli
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Must have been away when this thread came around.

JC, thats a tidy metro! really tidy, and at an absolute STEAL of a price.

I knwo you say leave it std, but a stg 1 kit on that engine would really liven it up, and for not much money.
JC.
Rep:
?
Stage 1? Thats just needles and a filter isnt it?
Ive had a look under the rocker cover... I spy beefy looking rockers!... Someone's played with it before me!

I had a run against a pug 106 today. Mr Metro was quicker. Not by much mind.
nmt_oli
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Stage one is replacing the cast manifolds with a proper exacust manifold, and alloy intake, full exasut system, and new filter, needle + set up. std breathin is so bad on the A series on minis and metros that it has seen up to 20% power increase on some cars!
A full kit can be had for £150-£200, then usually worth a trip to a rollign road to get the needle dialed in exactly unless your confident with filing needles your self.

Don't get too exited by the rockers. all late a+ series have sintered rather than pressed steel rockers, and you said the head has been changed (presuamably to make it unleaded?) then its likely the rockers are std.
JC.
Rep:
?
All MK2 Metro's came with the A+ head. I was merely stating it as a feature.
Its running an HIF 44 carb at the moment.

As for dialing in new needles... heh... I spanner on a drag car running a nitrous injected quad choke webber 4 barrel. So that'll be 6 needles at once then... I think i can cope with a little SU. :p:
What needle would you suggest? I'm thinking perhapse a AAA would be suitable? Or is this going to overfuel @ the top end?
nmt_oli
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
AAA AAB and AAU are fairly common starting points i think, depending on engine spec.
Ryan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
What 106 was it jc?
JC.
Rep:
?
(Original post by nmt_oli)
AAA AAB and AAU are fairly common starting points i think, depending on engine spec.
I ran tripple A's on my stage 2 B series. Although I was using a pair of 1 3/4" SU HIF-4 carbs. Hence my question as to whether the AAA would run too rich at higher revs given the throat on the HIF 44 is considerably smaller.

Have you ever been on this site? http://www.mintylamb.co.uk/suneedle/
I found it quite useful to compare needle sets when I was starting out on my first stage II engine.

-Jon.

(Original post by Ryan)
What 106 was it jc?
Late 80's. Contemporary competition! lol.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (149)
27.85%
No (386)
72.15%

Watched Threads