The fleet expands - Bought a 4 pot! Watch

JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Well, I said goodbye to little Austin today.
A nice lady from Anglesey came and collected him.

I've really enjoyed having a metro to play with all things considered. It's not really cost me anything except in basic maintenance (oil / filters etc.)
I bought the car intending to use it as a toy using my MGB V8 as a daily driver. Plans changed when I discovered that the MG had structural issues and despite having a 2 week old fresh MOT I made the decision to pull it off the road and use the metro everyday instead.

I suppose that was the biggest mistake. I've always been used to RWD cars with a bit of grunt. Going from that to a metro was a bit of a shock. In many ways I suppose this spoiled my enjoyment of the car. If I had kept the metro as just a toy perhaps I'd still have it? I can see why people have city cars. Pottering locally around Bangor and Sutton was a lot of fun. Roundabouts and S bends are hilarious. This thing handled like a go-kart. You don't need anything else round town. Unfortunately, my driving extends to a lot of high speed motorway stuff along with long blasts down country lanes which just doesn't suit a city car.

Would I buy another? No I don't think so. This one has been a lot of fun and I achieved the ambition of owning a classic city car and also the ambition to own something powered by an A series engine.
Would I recommended one to a friend? Absolutely! But get a turbo model

So, I'm back down to two cars again. Bugger.
Guess I'd better look for something else? Well... not straight away. I've still got a the paint job to pay for on the MG so it'll be a few months before I get another toy.
Although, this much I do know. The next car is going to be a small classic 4 cylinder for economy / chuck-ability and will probably be a convertible. I'm thinking Triumph Spitfire MK3 / MK4 / 1500 depending on what is available at the time.
gbduo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Get the Mk.4, nice car and most sought after, but I couldn't tell you why of the top of me 'ed!
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Better rear suspension and retains the MK3 engine (all be it with larger bearings)
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (140)
18.4%
No (461)
60.58%
Not really bothered about them (160)
21.02%

Watched Threads