The Student Room Group

My year 13 blog

Welcome to my blog!

This is a blog for me to document year 13. There'll be stuff on work experience, UCAS etc. This will be good to look back on and I thought it'll be interesting/useful for others to read as well.

Subject
Level 3 Health and Social Care extended diploma

Grade
My predicted grade is DDD but I'm aiming for D*D*D*

Grade achieved
D*D*D* :biggrin:

Units in year 12
1- Communication D
2- Equality, diversity and rights D
3- Health safety and security D
4- development through the life stages M
5- Anatomy and physiology D
6- personal and professional development D
7- Sociology perspectives for health and social care D
8- psychology perspectives for health and social care D
21- Nutrition D

Units in year 13
10- Caring for children and young people D
11- Safeguarding adults and promoting independence D
14- Physiological disorders D
20- Promoting health education D
22- Research methodology in health and social care D
27- Challenging behaviours D
28- Caring for the elderly D
40- Dementia D
44- vocational experience D

Work experience
Goal: minimum of 200 hours
Done: 267 :biggrin:

2017 entry
Roehampton- Primary education with QTS (invited to interview but withdrawn)
Anglia Ruskin- primary education studies (unconditional offer)
Anglia Ruskin- Early Childhood Studies (unconditional offer)
University of Suffolk- Early Childhood Studies (interview ----> unconditional offer FIRMED)
Hertfordshire- Early childhood studies (conditional offer- unconditional if i firm)

Career
I want to be a primary school teacher!
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

5/9/16

First day and I hate it already.

Mondays is when I do work placements but it doesn't start for a few weeks so it was really pointless of me going into college today. Another thing is that I really don't like my timetable this year and it's the same for all my friends. Our timetables are a mess and no one has any classes with each other so it means we won't see each other often.

On the bright side I've almost finished the first draft of my personal statement.
Gonna be watching this. :smile:
Great.
High five
Finished drafting my PS too!!
12/9/16

I didn't have any lessons today but I still went into college to get ahead on work. So far I have started unit 11, 22 and 44.

I also spoke to the careers advisor today. Even though she was helpful the stuff she said was basically that I have a very little chance in getting into uni :colonhash: I'll prove to her that I will!
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
12/9/16

I didn't have any lessons today but I still went into college to get ahead on work. So far I have started unit 11, 22 and 44.

I also spoke to the careers advisor today. Even though she was helpful the stuff she said was basically that I have a very little chance in getting into uni :colonhash: I'll prove to her that I will!

Why did she say you have very little chance of getting into uni? wtf - shes a carer advisor. someone aint doing their job properly.
Original post by BigMan Ting
Why did she say you have very little chance of getting into uni? wtf - shes a carer advisor. someone aint doing their job properly.

She said it's because I'm doing a BTEC and not a levels

Thats not true, far from it actually.
17/9/16

I have phoned up a primary school and have sorted everything out so I am ready to start my placement with them on the 26th sept. I will be in the reception class with 5 yr olds so that should be fun though ngl I was hoping to be with year 1/2 instead.

I planned to do some of my coursework this weekend but I'm busy. I just got back home from my friend's 18th birthday BBQ "party". Only us would play games like twister and dip our faces in whipped cream/baked beans/flour at an 18th birthday party :rofl: Also I'll be out all day tomorrow at my aunts so work will have to be on hold until Monday as that's when I have free periods; I will continue working on unit 22 and my personal statement.
26/9/16

I just finished my first day of work experience and it went really well :h:
I was in reception class so I did various activities that involved basic letters and numbers. I really enjoyed helping the children to learn and it was quite fun as well. The staffs were so helpful, the children were friendly and the environment was really nice. Everything about it just felt right, a primary school teacher is definitely a career I want to go into.

My homework for tonight is to finish off assignment 1 for unit 22 and to also start working on my work experience booklet.
Aw that's cute!!
I'm with year 5 atm
They're lovely!!

Great posts!!
Original post by usycool1
Gonna be watching this. :smile:

Me too :colondollar:
Original post by Brandon_peers
Me too :colondollar:

I'm glad people are finding this interesting :smile:
I'm glad people are finding this interesting :smile:

You're welcome. :h:

Schools prefer people who have done BTEC as you will have more hands on experience with the children etc. I work as a part time primary teaching assistant but I don't study a subject related to that.
1/10/16

I went to the Anglia Ruskin open day today and it went quite well.
The primary education studies course was really interesting and the modules sound really good as well. Another thing I liked was the area; it was nice, clean and quiet. Also the city centre, launderettes and other shops were fairly close so it would make (food) shopping so much easier.

The downside is that the accommodation is really small and crowded :/ Another downside is that if I do go here I will have to do a PGCE to gain a QTS which means 4 years instead of 3 :frown:
9/10/16

Went to Hertfordshire open day and it wasn't that great tbh. Although the people and place were lovely the two campuses were too spaced out which would be a hassle when moving from lectures from the accommodation. Also I must have an A Level to get in :colonhash:
Oh well, I'm not even upset about it.
(edited 7 years ago)
13/10/16

College was interesting today, instead of having a afternoon lesson there was a play for HSC students. The play is called The Cleverest Thief and it's about a women suffering from dementia, it was really good and definitely useful as I will be doing a unit on dementia later on in the year. I recommend it especially for those that might go into (adult) nursing or care.

I have gotten so much work lately so i'll definitely be up tonight, my goal is to finish the whole of assignment 1 for unit 28.
Mega Update- 3/12/16

So I haven't updated this blog in almost 2 months just because in the last few weeks family stuff were happening, combined with college work it was just busy, stressful and hectic hence why I havent been on here lately (though I dont think anyone has noticed). Now that things are getting back on track I will be posting more.

A lot has happened since I last posted:

I have finished my work placement at the reception class and my time there was amazing!

I have sorted out my next and final work placement which is in another reception class but it will be at the primary school I went to, it will be so weird going back there.

I have started my research project for unit 22. My research project question is "How do primary school teachers deal with difficult behaviours ans is it effective?"

I haven't got a lot to do for unit 28 so that will be completed soon- aiming for another distinction.

And most importantly I have finally submitted my UCAS application yay! :biggrin: Now the worse part is to wait :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending