Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My cousin who sat her A Level exams received these grades
    C- Sociology (doesn't count this year)
    D- Health and Social Care (counts this year)
    E- Biology (doesn't count this year)
    I advised her to retake health and social care while she's in year 13 but carry on with biology and sociology since they both don't count this year and she needs biology for the degree she wants to do. Her enrolment day for year 13 is this tuesday any suggestions?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    That would seem pretty sensible or she could retake the year and ve commited to improving. She has one chance to retake AS old syllabus in 2017. Maube she would be ok with sociology, but biology is a lot to make up, hence being suitable for a resit. Its a long jump from E to A or B.

ReputationRep:
    My friend also received the same grades during 2013 AS exams, C in chemistry D in Physics and E in Maths, he spent one whole year studying for repeating his AS exams, and in the next year 2014, he got straight 4 As with a additional 4th subject English.
    My advice to you is to talk to her and convince her that bad AS grades doesn't mean that it's the end of the world, she can always try again and succeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    That would seem pretty sensible or she could retake the year and ve commited to improving. She has one chance to retake AS old syllabus in 2017. Maube she would be ok with sociology, but biology is a lot to make up, hence being suitable for a resit. Its a long jump from E to A or B.
    She's not doing the old syllabus she's doing the new specification so her sociology and biology AS grade does not count towards her final grade for the at A Level. Yes there is a big jump from an E to an A but I told her its possible if she really knuckles down this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Petrol Head)
    My friend also received the same grades during 2013 AS exams, C in chemistry D in Physics and E in Maths, he spent one whole year studying for repeating his AS exams, and in the next year 2014, he got straight 4 As with a additional 4th subject English.
    My advice to you is to talk to her and convince her that bad AS grades doesn't mean that it's the end of the world, she can always try again and succeed.
    Do you suggest she repeats the year? since its the new A Level and her sociology and biology do not count this year do you think she should carry it on and work really hard? As I said I thought she should repeat her health and social care AS as it did count for 50% of her A Level.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by MMR16)
    She's not doing the old syllabus she's doing the new specification so her sociology and biology AS grade does not count towards her final grade for the at A Level. Yes there is a big jump from an E to an A but I told her its possible if she really knuckles down this year.
    She has to be realistic and honest about her ability and how motivated she is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MMR16)
    Do you suggest she repeats the year? since its the new A Level and her sociology and biology do not count this year do you think she should carry it on and work really hard? As I said I thought she should repeat her health and social care AS as it did count for 50% of her A Level.
    Well it depends on her, tell her to talk to her school advisors. If she's confident enough, then go ahead and carry it forward to AL.

ReputationRep:
    She has to be realistic and honest about her ability and how motivated she is.
    That is true I think she is willing to put in the hard work so I told her to carry on with sociology and biology and retake her health and social care AS we'll have to see what her sixth form says on enrolment day about this option

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Petrol Head)
    Well it depends on her, tell her to talk to her school advisors. If she's confident enough, then go ahead and carry it forward to AL.
    Ok i'll speak to her and thank you for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MMR16)
    Ok i'll speak to her and thank you for your help
    Anytime
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by MMR16)
    That is true I think she is willing to put in the hard work so I told her to carry on with sociology and biology and retake her health and social care AS we'll have to see what her sixth form says on enrolment day about this option
    Its about timing. she should talk to her teachers. Id be wary of needing to make such a big improvement.

ReputationRep:
    Its about timing. she should talk to her teachers. Id be wary of needing to make such a big improvement.
    yeah lets see what her teachers say first and thank you for your help
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by MMR16)
    yeah lets see what her teachers say first and thank you for your help
    Just speak to your cousin and remind them there are obvious solutions and she can improve her situation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.