Help with getting jobs with Anxiety

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I'm coming up to 16 meaning I will have the opportunity to get a job and become a bit more independant. Although, jobs mean interviews and meeting new people and I struggle with social anxiety. Could anyone give any advice on how to be ready or get through the worries I have?

ReputationRep:
    Just realise that if you get asked to an interview, it means an employer has read your CV and likes you and wants to meet you in person because they think you could be what they're looking for. After all the CV's they've read and chucked in the bin and sighed because their time is being wasted, yours is the one that shone out to them, so they'll be very happy with you before they even meet you. It's not an interrogation or anything like that, I just see them as a chat to see if they think they'll get on with you and work well with you... and I don't believe for a second your social anxiety will tell them that you won't.

If you can talk to them happily and relate to them as well as the job advertised instead of just giving robotic answers they've heard a thousand times before like "Uh... I'm very hard-working, my job/experience is kind of like this and that, you know what I mean?" like a majority of people attending your interviews probably will do, yours is the one they'll remember thinking back to the interviews and that means you have no reason to not get the job. I can't stress enough, it's not an interrogation. Your interviewer is a friendly human being just like you, they want to find someone who they get along with naturally and not someone who has Googled the best things to tell them and "How to suck up to interviewers". If you can talk to them like that, while still demonstrating your suitability for the role, you are laughing.

Good luck! :wavey:

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.