Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am an A-Level student who is currently dreaming of going to LSE to do a BSc in Economics! I just got my GCSE results and achieved 6 A*s, 4 As and 2 Bs. For Economics, the LSE website says that a B in GCSE English Language, and an A at GCSE Maths. I met this and got a B in English Language and an A in Maths. I have just started Year 12 and have not done my A-Levels yet, but can anyone tell me if I have a good chance of getting in? I have been told that the top Universities are putting added emphasis on GCSE Results now!I am getting really mixed responses about GCSEs and their importance at LSE! Would someone who actually KNOWS about their admissions policies, please help answer my questions? I would be really grateful!

So far, do I have a good chance of getting in, or not?

ReputationRep:
    I got 5A*8As and 1B and i got in, they're quite similar to your grades. But my course was for management. In terms of having a chance, you do have a chance of getting in, in fact the B i got was in economics!! But, a straight economics course at LSE is very competitive and they put a lot of emphasis on maths. So at AS try and get a very high score in your maths modules (90+ums), becase they will ask you for your ums. But, check the other courses out too, like joint courses, e.g. economics and/with history, economics and politics, accounting and finance, there might be other courses that you'll also find very interesting, you'll have a greater chance of getting in, and they won't ask you about your maths ums, the requirement for those courses are usually AAA.

Economics is the most competitive course, and it's the hardest one to get into, your grades are fine, you just have to make your personal statement incredible. Also, what are your A-Level subjects? BTW getting an A* in maths is a requirement at A-level and believe me it's not easy to get it, and if you got an A at gcse then the chances of you getting the A* are probably lower, unless like you messed up your paper and you were actually expecting A* at gcse. But if you want tips on what to do for maths i can also advise you on how to get the A*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by negin1347)
    I got 5A*8As and 1B and i got in, they're quite similar to your grades. But my course was for management. In terms of having a chance, you do have a chance of getting in, in fact the B i got was in economics!! But, a straight economics course at LSE is very competitive and they put a lot of emphasis on maths. So at AS try and get a very high score in your maths modules (90+ums), becase they will ask you for your ums. But, check the other courses out too, like joint courses, e.g. economics and/with history, economics and politics, accounting and finance, there might be other courses that you'll also find very interesting, you'll have a greater chance of getting in, and they won't ask you about your maths ums, the requirement for those courses are usually AAA.

Economics is the most competitive course, and it's the hardest one to get into, your grades are fine, you just have to make your personal statement incredible. Also, what are your A-Level subjects? BTW getting an A* in maths is a requirement at A-level and believe me it's not easy to get it, and if you got an A at gcse then the chances of you getting the A* are probably lower, unless like you messed up your paper and you were actually expecting A* at gcse. But if you want tips on what to do for maths i can also advise you on how to get the A*.
    Thank you so much! That is the exact response I wanted! I got 96% in my Maths GCSE mock but got 87% in the actual thing, which was only 3% off an A*! If I am unsure on anything, I would really appreciate your advice!

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad I helped

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.