Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Previously I've studied a BSc (Hons) and a PGCE - I read somewhere that if you do a higher level course that leads to a profession, you can still get funding through Student Finance for tuition fees and living costs. I am looking at doing a MPharm with Foundation Year (5yrs integrated Masters) - would I be eligible for funding?

Sarah x
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by sarahlou8508)
    Hello,

Previously I've studied a BSc (Hons) and a PGCE - I read somewhere that if you do a higher level course that leads to a profession, you can still get funding through Student Finance for tuition fees and living costs. I am looking at doing a MPharm with Foundation Year (5yrs integrated Masters) - would I be eligible for funding?

Sarah x
    This is the list of exemptions (that would mean you would be eligible for student living cost loans but not tuition loans - you might get tuition loans for the final year(s) of your course).
    ELQ exemptions
    18. Students falling into one of the following categories are exempt from the ELQ policy.

a. They are in receipt of the Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) for at least some of their year of programme of study reported in the HESES return. Providers should make estimates for HESES purposes of the numbers of students whose receipt of the DSA for the year of programme of study will be confirmed after 1 November.
    b. They have stated that their qualification aim is a foundation degree.
    c. They are on a course of initial or in-service teacher training (in any mode or level of study). In-service teacher training courses are defined as courses for which the primary (but not necessarily the only) purpose is to improve the effectiveness of teachers, lecturers or trainers.
    d. They are on a year of course (in any mode or level of study) for which an NHS bursary is payable. More information on NHS bursaries can be found at www.hefce.ac.uk/data/datacollection/heses/ under ‘Frequently asked questions’.
    e. They are on an undergraduate course (in any mode of study) which leads to a first registrable qualification with one of the following.
    i. General Medical Council.
    ii. General Dental Council.
    iii. Nursing and Midwifery Council.
    iv. Health and Care Professions Council for the professions of:
    • chiropodist or podiatrist
    • dietician
    • occupational therapist
    • orthoptist
    • paramedic
    • physiotherapist
    • prosthetist or orthotist
    • radiographer
    • social worker
    • speech and language therapist.
    v. Scottish Social Services Council.
    vi. Care Council for Wales.
    vii. Northern Ireland Social Care Council.
    viii. Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons.
    f. They are on an undergraduate course (in any mode of study) for which the primary (but not necessarily the only) purpose is to improve the effectiveness of practitioners registered with one of the professional bodies listed in sub-paragraph 18e. In the case of the Health and Care Professions Council, this must additionally relate to practitioners in the professions listed in sub-paragraph 18e.iv.
    g. They are on an undergraduate course (in any mode of study) which leads to a professional qualification that has been professionally validated by the National Youth Agency or the Youth Council for Northern Ireland. These are courses leading to qualification to practise as a youth and community worker.
    h. They are on an undergraduate course (in any mode of study) for which the primary (but not necessarily the only) purpose is to improve the effectiveness of professionally qualified youth and community workers.
    i. They are on a full-time course (for student support purposes) which leads towards registration with the Architects Registration Board.

MPharm is not on the list - it isn't fundable as a second degree and you'd need to source the funding elsewhere for living costs and tuition fees. Unfortunately the other finance option available (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/stu...elopment-loans ) isn't open to courses longer than 2 years.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.