Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently debating what A-Levels to do before I go back to school. I am going to do Biology, Chemistry and Maths. I just need to decide on the fourth option. I will drop this subject after Year 12 and this subject should open more choices for me at university.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Want_To_Achieve)
    I am currently debating what A-Levels to do before I go back to school. I am going to do Biology, Chemistry and Maths. I just need to decide on the fourth option. I will drop this subject after Year 12 and this subject should open more choices for me at university.
    what do you want to do at uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    what do you want to do at uni?
    I am not sure yet. But possibly optometry or Accounting and Finance.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I am not sure yet. But possibly optometry or Accounting and Finance.
    What do you have an interest in? A-Levels are a lot easier if you enjoy it somewhat. I think the A-Levels you have chosen are sufficient for the course that you want to do. English is a good subject to take as it prepares you for essays etc.

ReputationRep:
    "This subject" isn't going to open any doors for you, as it's only to AS Level. Pick something you'll enjoy, because AS levels are seemingly worthless compared to full A Levels.

ReputationRep:
    If you're dead certain you're going to drop this fourth subject at the end of AS (though I was certain on applying for physics at university then dropped it two weeks into AS so things change) then pick something like media studies or film studies, which aren't totally boring and are quite easy/provide a nice of change of pace compared to the other three. I replaced physics with media and have now dropped it (again, I say it's easy but I got AAA in my other subjects and a B in media but anyway, I digress).

Your subjects seem quite scientific so if you don't want to go for an easy/more relaxing option then just pick something that'll provide a nice contrast to what you've got so far, maybe history, politics, sociology for example, or English language/literature. Having so many similar subjects may become tedious of you pick another STEM subject.

As for opening doors, the fourth subject won't do anything for you university-wise unless you take it to A2. AS levels are utterly meaningless when it comes to your UCAS application, now that most subjects have gone linear (other than informing your predicted grades for A2 but that doesn't matter because you're not carrying this other subject on).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest English, just for the essays which shows variation in skills. A language is also good, but very hard.
    Or further maths? If your school offers it.

ReputationRep:
    Some subjects are reformed so you can't do as levels in them anymore as you do the exams after two years

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.