Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I really don't like laptops. I find them really slow and a lot of effort compared to a tablet like an iPad which I use all the time and love. But sadly iPads can't do everything and I knew at some point I'd have to get a laptop for university. At first I was going to get a top end fancy model but concluded that I will only be using it for word processing and assignment stuff (I hope?) and it wouldn't be worth the money so in the end I went for this: http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/products/la...roduct&lang=en

Not the best I know but it was in a sale and I saved £150 so went for it. I'm doing environmental science. Will this laptop be enough to see me through my uni days?

Thank you for any help

ReputationRep:
    More than good enough, it'll get you through uni with no issues. I use a 2012 ThinkPad and it still runs everything I need it to.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Yeah that's definitely more than good enough. It'll be nice and fast and you have loads of storage. You'll have no problems with what you want it for

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    Yeah that's definitely more than good enough. It'll be nice and fast and you have loads of storage. You'll have no problems with what you want it for
    seems decent enough and the screen is good. Only concern is that the hard drive is quite slow, most modern drives are either SSDs or 7200rpm HDDs. This means that booting your laptop up and opening programs might be on the slower side of things but by no means problematic

ReputationRep:
    Can it run a wordprocessor and open firefox? Yeah its good enough

I use a DellD32 running Lubuntu (and its surprisngly fast actually), and it has no problems

ReputationRep:
    its below just average.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dominosh)
    So I really don't like laptops. I find them really slow and a lot of effort compared to a tablet like an iPad which I use all the time and love. But sadly iPads can't do everything and I knew at some point I'd have to get a laptop for university. At first I was going to get a top end fancy model but concluded that I will only be using it for word processing and assignment stuff (I hope?) and it wouldn't be worth the money so in the end I went for this: http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/products/la...roduct&lang=en

Not the best I know but it was in a sale and I saved £150 so went for it. I'm doing environmental science. Will this laptop be enough to see me through my uni days?

Thank you for any help
    Should be alright. i have an intel i3 1.7 ghz processor, and it runs just fine.

ReputationRep:
    the only reason you find laptops slow is because you buy slow laptops

ReputationRep:
    It'll be OK, you would've been better off getting an Intel based one as and CPUs are power hungry and hot but for £280 it'll do.

ReputationRep:
    Ok great thanks for the replies

ReputationRep:
    probably should get an ssd, will give your laptop the biggest speed increase and will give your laptop protection should you drop it because an ssd has no moving parts.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.