Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be a good idea to send quite a technically micro one, or a heavily micro based one. For the other one, I would send a more general, "Euro, good or bad?" one. I dosen't really matter, as long as they are of a fairly high quality it shouldn't matter. Though it is better to show variety of knowledge.

I'll have a think about essay titles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    Danke

Mm. I like the Euro - it's probably one of my best essays. Will tweak it.
    Hmmm. What micro thing do you actually cover at A-Level? I've completely forgotten.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    what is the thing with YE beeing so great, I don't mean to sound rude, but surely it is better to do work experience?
    Yes, it's also exclusive to private schools and very good grammar schools. That's probably why you haven't heard of it.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, the vast majority of private schools seem to sneer at it.

Have been told that "Young Enterprise - no one cares about it, Meg."

At SE Regionals we saw many Sixth Form colleges and the current National Champion is a comprehensive school, as was the Champion last year.
    They probably don't.

"At SE Regionals we saw many Sixth Form colleges and the current National Champion is a comprehensive school, as was the Champion last year." - OK, mainly exclusive to private schools and grammar schools.

ReputationRep:

At SE Regionals we saw many Sixth Form colleges and the current National Champion is a comprehensive school, as was the Champion last year.
    YE at my school appeared to be just meeting local businessmen, that's why I chose not to do it. My sister did the whole business thing but I though it looked a bit boring the way my school advertised it. Must have been wrong. Oh well, I can do it the year after next. i'm doing granny-bashing for my socal servic next year!

ReputationRep:
    You could, it's a very ride ranging question though, with the limited about of knowledge gain from AS, I'm not sure you could really answer the question fully.

The thread od "the firm" is certainly a good idea though, very micro and technical. Loads of avenues you could investigate: technology and production functions, factor of production, diminishing marginal return, iso-qants and iso-cost, cost functions, behaviour of the firm, supply function, profit maximisation.

That would link in well with markets, too.

ReputationRep:

no, thats rubbish - nearly all private schools offer YE :rolleyes: but private schools dont tend to do very well at YE admittedly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    no, thats rubbish - nearly all private schools offer YE :rolleyes:
    Yes, but they don't really care about it. My school offered YE, but no one took it seriously; similar to most private schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    I've just thread the whole thread and i totally see your point throughout. Most people do 4 ASs and 3 A2s so even though A2 is harder, they will have more time to work on each subject and so should get roughly the same as they did for AS.
    That's also another good point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    Yes, but they don't really care about it. My school offered YE, but no one took it seriously; similar to most private schools.
    Yes, that's what I have found YE isn't really ca\red about and is just one of many options for a thursday afternoon. Apparently this year's group had "alot of ability, but no interest"!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    exactly, we didn't do much at all, which is pretty annoying actually, and as for the exam, everyone left after 20 minutes or so, which is enough time tbh.

ReputationRep:
    46,000+ students.
    3500+ companies.

Damn, if you reach the National Finals, that makes you one of the Top 12 companies. I think that's justified as being 'so great.'
    No it doesn't, it makes the company you were partly involved in as doing well in the competition.

It doesn't mean that:

1.) The company was "so great".
    2.) That you were "so great".

Letting things go to your head is hardly a quality, especially when it's dillusional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    Yes, that's what I have found YE isn't really ca\red about and is just one of many options for a thursday afternoon. Apparently this year's group had "alot of ability, but no interest"!
    Allegedly I was finance director, but I only turned up to about 5 meeting so I can't be sure. YE is state school dominated, grammar's perform especially well.

2 point5, the thing run by the Bank Of England was the big Economics competition for us.

ReputationRep:
    Eton dominates 2 point 5 I think. Oh damn, we're in Berkshire too. My school hasn't taken part in that for ages. Will talk to Head of Economics about it.

I know people from independent schools who did YE and had big roles in it - didn't even bother mentioning it on their UCAS. I was so shocked :eek:

Also, private schools do the whole 'let's stick a logo on it and it'll sell well' technique. So unfair.

*beaten by RGS Guildford, independent school*
    The Eton Head of Economics is really keen on it and they put out all their big guns and really go for it. We took it more seriously that YE, but it was still fairly minor honestly, we got to the National Finals and were happy with that; didn't have the determination to really make an outstanding presentation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    Yes, it's also exclusive to private schools and very good grammar schools. That's probably why you haven't heard of it.
    Eh, why do you think that? My school was a comprehensive and did it every year...

I've never heard of this 2point5 thing, what's that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamas)
    Eh, why do you think that? My school was a comprehensive and did it every year...
    Well only Leeds Grammar school in Leeds does it, and most people off the forum who do it are from grammars/private schools. Many comprehensive schoolers haven't ever heard of it before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    Well only Leeds Grammar school in Leeds does it, and most people off the forum who do it are from grammars/private schools. Many comprehensive schoolers haven't ever heard of it before.
    Yeah, but that doesn't mean their school doesn't do it

A lot of people at my school probably didn't know about it, but we still did it

I guess at grammar/private schools (boo! hiss!) the pupils are more informed of extra curricular activities on offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamas)
    Yeah, but that doesn't mean their school doesn't do it

A lot of people at my school probably didn't know about it, but we still did it

I guess at grammar/private schools (boo! hiss!) the pupils are more informed of extra curricular activities on offer.
    No, the schools don't offer it.

"(boo! hiss!)" - It's not the school, it's the attitude of some people from such places that pisses me off until the cows come home.

People like BazTheMoney, MadNatSci, Bezza and many others, i haven't a problem with whatsoever.

I judge the person, not the school - And that is why I said it doesn't matter what school you go to when applying to a top uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    no, thats rubbish - nearly all private schools offer YE :rolleyes: but private schools dont tend to do very well at YE admittedly
    heh, funny that, the time when hard work, determination and self responsibility is required, they suddnely "do worse".

All a coincidence, of course.

ReputationRep:
    Leeds Grammar School - Gold Chip Enterprises! And if I'm not mistaken, the Personnel Director - Phillip Xiu is UKL's very own 2776...! :eek: Anyway, very good website.

Allerton High School - Leeds. http://www.unique-fusion.tk/
    Yes, I knew his name was Phillip Xiu, I also know the area that he lives in.

EDIT: 2776 is a legend.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.