Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    No, the schools don't offer it.

"(boo! hiss!)" - It's not the school, it's the attitude of some people from such places that pisses me off until the cows come home.

People like BazTheMoney, MadNatSci, Bezza and many others, i haven't a problem with whatsoever.

I judge the person, not the school - And that is why I said it doesn't matter what school you go to when applying to a top uni.
    Oh aye, I totally understand what you're saying. I won't prejudice anyone for having gone to a grammar/private school, but I have a principled objection to both. (That's a whole thread on it's own though, I won't derail this one!)

(Original post by deianra)
    Leeds Grammar School - Gold Chip Enterprises! And if I'm not mistaken, the Personnel Director - Phillip Xiu is UKL's very own 2776...! :eek: Anyway, very good website.

Allerton High School - Leeds. http://www.unique-fusion.tk/
    Heh, you really like YE :cool:

ReputationRep:
    In private schools there are usually so many other things going on that something like YE tends to get sidelined and little attention is given to it so therefore the company does poorly. A lot of the other companies I came across were from comprehensives or sixth form colleges and they were given detailed briefings about it and a lot more guidance, some even lesson time for it. At the national finals this year only 3 out of the 12 companies were from independent schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amrad)
    At the national finals this year only 3 out of the 12 companies were from independent schools.
    Good news then.

ReputationRep:
    Thing is with grammars - we have no facilities, our buildings are falling down and there's a tree in the middle of our hockey pitch. Very little extra-curriculars available and my teachers haven't heard of AEA.
    Yes, of course. The best "state" (LOL) school in the entire country is practically disintegrating. :rolleyes:

What you really mean is, it's a top school but not quite as rich as Eton?

Ahhh, that makes more sense.

ReputationRep:
    Grammars are actually really under funded, they get very little money from the local LEA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    Grammars are actually really under funded, they get very little money from the local LEA.
    I doubt the best grammar school in the entire country has "buildings that are collapsing and no facilities."

ReputationRep:
    You doubt wrongly. You haven't seen Kendrick, have you? It's described as a prison and it's got a great location - post code RG1, on the edge of the Central Business District. Sad thing is, we can't just sell our land to up and leave - we don't own it. We don't own much, really.

On the top floor of Sidmouth - where Sixth Form, staff and reception is housed, when trucks go past, the floor shakes - many a time have I believed it was an earthquake. Then we have the rats. The many, many rats that infest the music building and the main building. The language block has been temporary since 1969. The main building leaks and when it rains, we put buckets out.

Labour doesn't like Grammar schools. The first education secretary after its 1997 election win was David Blunkett. He had famously promised at the 1995 Labour Party conference: "Read my lips: no selection, either by examination or interview, under a Labour government."

It was later said that he had meant to say "no more selection". Either way, I can remember in the last few years so many times when we've been denied grants given to comprehensives because they think we're doing well enough to do without the money. We don't.

Reading School - the other grammar in Reading is another story. The 10th oldest school in England (12th century!), it's building looks like a bloody castle. They even offer boarding - for a state school, this is extraordinary. They beat us in Oxbridge admissions (18% to our 14%) but we do better statistically in results. They're so rich that it really isn't funny.

Anyway, in conclusion - we don't get grants because the government thinks we already do well enough so they stop worrying about us and ignore us, more or less. I would say our high performance is due to the dedication of our teachers. Whereas public schools can headhunt people from the City, we can't. But the majority of Kendrick's teachers have been at Kendrick for well over 10 years. One teacher lives in Wales - <A TITLE="Click for more information about travel" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||travel|AA1V Dw">travel</A>s everyday to teach at Kendrick as she doesn't want to stop. Our Head of Sixth Form recently got promotion to Deputy Head at one of the leading public schools in the UK. Teaching's pretty great

We've been described as St Paul's Girls' but with a lot less money and academically, we perform more or less on a par with Cheltenham Ladies' College, beating schools like Harrow, Radley, Winchester, Manchester Grammar, et cetera (which really isn't bad). Nyeh. But monieless, we definitely are.
    "Labour doesn't like Grammar schools. The first education secretary after its 1997 election win was David Blunkett. He had famously promised at the 1995 Labour Party conference: "Read my lips: no selection, either by examination or interview, under a Labour government."" - Good on him.

"Teaching's pretty great " - Yes, typical of a "prison" of course.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and Nima - there's a grammar school near you so you can't complain. Heckmondwike? It's not even that far - 15 miles. People who go to Kendrick travel from Great London (30 - 40 miles) and North Oxfordshire. Train journeys of well over an hour long.
    1.) Me going to a grammar school? LOL.
    2.) I'm complaining because there are grammar schools. there shouldn't be. There should be one standard for all when it comes to education.

ReputationRep:
    2.) I'm complaining because there are grammar schools. there shouldn't be. There should be one standard for all when it comes to education.
    But there's never gong to be a time where everyone in the country is of equal intellegence, some people are more academic than others, that'll always be the case. A "one size fits all" edcation system would be worse for everyone - pushing lower abilities too hard, and higher ability pupils would become bored and complacent. If anything, there should be more grammars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    But there's never gong to be a time where everyone in the country is of equal intellegence, some people are more academic than others, that'll always be the case. A "one size fits all" edcation system would be worse for everyone - pushing lower abilities too hard, and higher ability pupils would become bored and complacent. If anything, there should be more grammars.
    Not really, if you consider yourself intelligent and motivated for your subject you should do well wherever you go.

"But there's never gong to be a time where everyone in the country is of equal intellegence, some people are more academic than others, that'll always be the case. A "one size fits all" edcation system would be worse for everyone - pushing lower abilities too hard, and higher ability pupils would become bored and complacent. If anything, there should be more grammars." - I still think that everyone should go to a similar standard school and have similar quality teaching. There are no restrictions for such schools to have seperate groups for the brighter students, but I think it's shite that wealth and grades have a strong positive correlation.

It may not ever happen, but it still doesn't mean that I don't think that should be the case. Also, being dependant on the school rather than one's self isn't a quality (not you, I'm talking in general here).

ReputationRep:
    *shrugs* You can't prove that Kendrick is well funded - it's quite the opposite. As you said, Blunkett doesn't like grammar schools. You do doubt wrong - we're bloody poor.

The UK shouldn't be getting rid of selective schools, if anything, they should be making more. Oh and bad news for you - whatever Blunkett thinks, grammar schools are on the rise *whoops*

Only 2% of state schools perform better than independents; we're a part of that minority.

One standard of education? That would be a lower standard - is this beneficial?

Life isn't perfect. All independents should offer 100% bursaries instead of scholarships and grammar schools should be everywhere. But c'est la vie. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.
    "That would be a lower standard - is this beneficial?" - Of course, for you it would be, but not for one second did I expect you to consider other people. That would be out of the question. :rolleyes:

"But c'est la vie." - Yes i'm aware of that, still won't stop me saying what I think there should/shouldn't be.

"Kendrick is well funded - it's quite the opposite." - I didn't say that it was funded well, I just think that calling it a prison and bringing up this "booo hooo" argument is a massive exaggeration.

ReputationRep:
    But grammar's aren't well funded, not by a long shot. If you're only going to stream pupils anyway, why not have separate schools?

ReputationRep:
    Independent school, not grammar.

Independent school, not grammar. :rolleyes:
    "Independent school, not grammar." - Yes I do know that.

"Independent school, not grammar." ?

1.) You've been bragging about how "brilliant" your school is in terms of getting grades.
    2.) "I have my school to thank for the top 5 in GCSE Business Studies."

Right. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Independent school, not grammar.
    I think the correlation may actually exist. I go to a free selective school myself and most people have parents who are business people or teachers or other professionals, so people with more successful parents (and hence more money) are probably more motivated to work harder so they achieve better.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's also exclusive to private schools and very good grammar schools. That's probably why you haven't heard of it.
    Not at all - certainly where I live it's done by comprehensives as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    I think the correlation may actually exist. I go to a free selective school myself and it's full of people who have parents who are business people or teachers or other professionals, so people with more successful parents (and hence more money) are probably more motivated to work harder so they achieve better.
    But Invisible was implying that it was rich schools that resulted in good grades, not how rich the parents were. Parents wealth has nothing to do with his argument, unless they;'re donating large chunks to the school. Maybe you can 'buy' grades at independent schools because of good teachers and facilities, but the same argument can't be applied to grammars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    But Invisible was implying that it was rich schools that resulted in good grades, not how rich the parents were. Parents wealth has nothing to do with his argument, unless they;'re donating large chunks to the school. Maybe you can 'buy' grades at independent schools because of good teachers and facilities, but the same argument can't be applied to grammars.
    Private schools get good grades due to wealth, grammars due to selection.

I think that idealy, both shouldn't exist and everyone should be entitled to the same standard of education.

ReputationRep:

I think that idealy, both shouldn't exist and everyone should be entitled to the same standard of education.
    But it wouldn't work, there isn't a single system that would work well for everybody. All pupils would end up worse off if there was no selection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Not at all - certainly where I live it's done by comprehensives as well.
    I said later, *mainly.

Compare the % of comprehensives in the entire country, and %that participated in YE.

ReputationRep:

I don't think private schools should exist because they let you buy grades and I have no problem with grammar schools as long as they don't get any more money from the state than comprehensives.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.