The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ellie4
Well I agree with some extent, but if someone just scrapes an A, they'll probably get a B at A2. Howvever, the people who got predicted B's at A2 who had 270 at AS is stupid, and prevented them applying to some of their uni choices.

270/300 is a "scrape"? It's a high A.

Ok, 270/300. So, you'd need 210 for the A at A-Level overall.

Ok, 210 across 3 exam papers.

Average UMS per paper at A2 needed for A = 210/3 = 70

You are telling me that someone who got an A grade at AS Level is not capable of getting borderline B/C on all 3 papers?.

LOL, ok then...
Reply 41
Invisible

You are telling me that someone who got an A grade at AS Level is not capable of getting borderline B/C on all 3 papers?.

LOL, ok then...

she didnt say 270/300 is a scrape
deianra

Similarly, you can do better than A* at GCSE. Top Five, et cetera. Shrugs.

That's actually a con - and is awarded to 100s of people at GCSE (not just the 'top five'). It is given handed out to a certain number of candidates across a wide spread of schools, a phoney invention of the exam board.
Reply 43
Invisible

LOL, ok then...

Well someone didn't read what I wrote properly. I said it was justified if they scraped an A at AS but the predictions of a B at A2 for people who had 270 at AS was stupid.
Ellie4
You can choose who writes it?! We can't choose!

You think I'm gonna let my stupid form tutor do my reference?

No chance, Economics teacher it is. He'll do a great job, and he'll give me it back on many occassions so I can suggest improvements. :smile:
TheWolf
she didnt say 270/300 is a scrape

No, but the school implied it. I'm arguing with her schools policy, not her!
Reply 46
Invisible

Well make that more explicit next time! :smile:
deianra
Taking Chemistry as example again:

A2 course harder than AS. Thus, every student find A2 harder than AS course. As a result, it is harder to get A in A2. Thus, realistic prediction for A2 should be lower than AS.

Take case study - me:

Refuse to do Chemistry homework since January, grades started slipping. During GCSE, never got test below 90%. As a result:
Working grade for AS: B.
AS Prediction: A.

I didn't ask for my A2 prediction but I don't think it was an A.

Of course, if it's you you get an A grade prediction, if it's someone else they get a B prediction.

Can't get fairer than that.
deianra
I know, but it's the target high achieving A* pupils should aim for. English Literature GCSE AQA Top Five was given to 32 people :biggrin:

Yes, I know three of them from school, lol.

The award which matters is the A-level 'top in the country' - especially in the sciences. My friend's brother won the Chemistry prize and got a big fat cheque from the Royal Chemistry Society (I can't remember how much for).
After hearing of the news, Cambridge rang him up to offer him a place for Medicine (after having previously rejected him) - he did what I would do - told them to f*ck off. :smile:
I think it a bit harsh to predict lower for A2 than what a student obtains a AS. Naturally less people will get A's at A2, but both have an equal weighting, for instance if you get 270 at AS, by predicting that student a B over the school is basically saying that they are a borderline B/C A2 candidate, which often isn't the case and not the way to build confidence.

I was under the old system, so it was a bit more inaccurate generally, but at my school anyway the predictions were normally spot on, 90%+ accuracy.
Ellie4
Well make that more explicit next time! :smile:

Make it more explicit that it's your school's policy?
BazTheMoney
I think it a bit harsh to predict lower for A2 than what a student obtains a AS. Naturally less people will get A's at A2, but both have an equal weighting, for instance if you get 270 at AS, by predicting that student a B over the school is basically saying that they are a borderline B/C A2 candidate, which often isn't the case and not the way to build confidence.

I was under the old system, so it was a bit more inaccurate generally, but at my school anyway the predictions were normally spot on, 90%+ accuracy.

I don't understand why an A at AS doesn't deserve an overall grade A prediction.

Sorry, doesn't register I'm afraid.
Reply 52
Invisible
Make it more explicit that it's your school's policy?

No, make it more explicit that you're saying my school's stupid, rather than just arguing with my posts (especially when you don't read them properly)! :biggrin:
Reply 53
Well I agree with some extent, but if someone just scrapes an A, they'll probably get a B at A2. Howvever, the people who got predicted B's at A2 who had 270 at AS is stupid, and prevented them applying to some of their uni choices.

Invisible

LOL, ok then...

Invisible

where from above does it imply that the school says 270 is a scrape? :rolleyes:
Reply 54
If you get say, 250/300 at AS level, then it would be no suprise to me that they may be predicted a B at A2.

A2 is MUCH harder than AS, and so it is likely that they will get less marks at A2 than at AS. Why should a grade A at AS instantly mean that you should be predicted an A at A2. If your teacher doesn't think you will cope as well at A2 - why should they lie?

However, 270+ is a different matter. It would be harsh if you got say, 276 at AS, and werent predicted an A at A2.
Reply 55
deianra
I know, but it's the target high achieving A* pupils should aim for. English Literature GCSE AQA Top Five was given to 32 people :biggrin:

Random, but how do you know/find this out. It doesn't suprise me to be honest. Last year 3 people in myt school got a top 5 in Eng Lit, and it seems a little unlikely, but I think this is because it is very possible to get 100% (they all did)
Invisible
I don't understand why an A at AS doesn't deserve an overall grade A prediction.

A2 = more difficult that AS.

In theory without retakes your grade at AS is likely to be higher than your grade at A2 (this was how Curriculum 2000 was devised) - therefore your overall A level grade is likely to be lower than your AS grade.

Of course resits make things more complicated but some schools are stricter on allowing resits than others.
Invisible

And that's what I'm saying... :rolleyes:

"I think it's a bit harsh to predict lower for A2 than what a student obtains a AS" For example, If you get an A at AS, you should be predicted it overall...
deianra
He rejected Cambridge Medicine? :eek:

*sobs*

I've never quite understood how they do the GCSE/A-level top in the country thingy. Loads of people get 600/600 or full marks at GCSE? I got the impression that they give it to the person with the nicest script and eloquent answers (achieving over and beyond full marks - examples of exceptional performance?) ...even though all obtained full marks.

In subjects with a large essay content - getting full UMS can often be a nonesense as there is so much room for variation in the marking - national awards can be a joke.

In things like Chemistry (where the guy I know who won the prize, dropped 4 raw marks in the whole thing) - it can be a lot easier to pinpoint the highest achiever in the country, based on the exam.

Oh, and it's a matter of pride and dignity to reject Cambridge after that - or at least I think it is.
Reply 59
Pencil Queen
A2 = more difficult that AS.

so what? everyone who takes the exam then finds it more difficult, hence its not really more difficult to get an a or b etc? as the grade is just on overall performance?

Latest

Trending

Trending