Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Predicted grades watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    In subjects with a large essay content - getting full UMS can often be a nonesense as there is so much room for variation in the marking - national awards can be a joke.
    Essay marking is always very subjective anyway, maths or a sciences are much easier as you either have it right or wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I've never quite understood how they do the GCSE/A-level top in the country thingy. Loads of people get 600/600 or full marks at GCSE? I got the impression that they give it to the person with the nicest script and eloquent answers (achieving over and beyond full marks - examples of exceptional performance?) ...even though all obtained full marks.
    Also Raw Marks are different to UMS. you could get 90/90 for UMS, which is the score that matters, but only 80/90 in raw marks. Very few students get 100% for their raw mark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    No, make it more explicit that you're saying my school's stupid, rather than just arguing with my posts (especially when you don't read them properly)!
    No I did read them properly, I just didn't clarify that I was criticizing the school and saying that they implied that 270/300 is a scrape, and hence the B prediction for anything lower.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure it was done on raw marks for the exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    No I did read them properly, I just didn't clarify that I was criticizing the school and saying that they implied that 270/300 is a scrape, and hence the B prediction for anything lower.
    Heh, alright then, I'll let you off!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    where from above does it imply that the school says 270 is a scrape? :rolleyes:
    "Howvever, the people who got predicted B's at A2 who had 270 at AS is stupid, and prevented them applying to some of their uni choices."

The school are implying that 270 or slightly less at AS is considered a "scraped A" and hence getting the stupid B prediction that both me and Ellie emphasized.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    Essay marking is always very subjective anyway, maths or a sciences are much easier as you either have it right or wrong.
    Yeh, that's the thinking behind what I was saying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    A2 = more difficult that AS.
    But you improve as you get older.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    Not necessarily. Take Ellie for example. 3 EPs at KS3 SATs - about 0.4% of the country gets an EP in any subject. GCSEs should have been straight A*s then, as about 4% of the country gets an A*.

Not true.
    Are you saying poor Ellie has already reached and passed her intellectual peak? At the tender age of 17, how sad.

ReputationRep:
    Are you saying poor Ellie has already reached and passed her intellectual peak? At the tender age of 17, how sad.
    Well unless my ASs are great, it looks like I'll have peaked at 14

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily. Take Ellie for example
    How does that aid your argument when it's a school policy that applies to all year 12 pupils, pretty much?

ReputationRep:
    All I'm saying is that 3 EPs is an absolutely amazing achievement and she's the first person I know to have done that. Very wow.
    Yes it is an achievement - I especially rate people who managed an EP in English - I was 2 marks off one.

ReputationRep:
    You stated that people improve as they get older. I'm simply saying that it not always the case.
    how do you judge improvement? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I peaked at 15. I think we should sit in the Early Peakers corner together.
    What if I'm getting worse and worse, and I get all E's at AS?!

*Goes and sits in earlier-peakers corner*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    Well unless my ASs are great, it looks like I'll have peaked at 14
    I sometimes think that I was really on top of my game at age 10, and have fallen off somewhat since then. The booze, the women, the fastcars...

ReputationRep:
    ARGH. Stop it! *hits Ellie* Dammit, you get less than 290 for Economics and I will eat my slippers without sauce.
    Heh, and what with that and me eating my hat if you don't get all As, we've got a pretty horrible feast waiting for us if it all goes tits-up!

ReputationRep:
    Is anybody planning to be human like me (in doing 3 A2s)?

I'm looking forward to having some free time - I might be able to do that videoediting course I always wanted to do! Or if all else fails, watch daytime television for a quarter of the week.

ReputationRep:
    Is anybody planning to be human like me (in doing 3 A2s)?

I'm looking forward to having some free time - I might be able to do that videoediting course I always wanted to do! Or if all else fails, watch daytime television for a quarter of the week.
    yea ill probs drop a subject 4a2s too much for my liking

ReputationRep:
    You stated that people improve as they get older. I'm simply saying that it not always the case.
    A general comment applies to a general audience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    yea ill probs drop a subject 4a2s too much for my liking
    5A2s and 6ASs... Free time, what's that?! :confused:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.