The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Well, I'm compaing to Oxbridge. I couldn't care less about Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham or anywhere else. And compared to Oxbridge, London isn't special, in any aspect.

Except clubs, though Oxford is close enough for that not to be a major problem.
Reply 101
And don't forget... Ellie's in London, big bonus!! :biggrin:
BazTheMoney
Well, I'm compaing to Oxbridge. I couldn't care less about Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham or anywhere else. And compared to Oxbridge, London isn't special, in any aspect.

Yes, Oxford is wicked, but surely Cambridge is more dull and less of an exprience than London?

Barring the degree, I wouldn't say Cambridge offers much in terms of experience, it's pretty boring.
Ellie4
And don't forget... Ellie's in London, big bonus!! :biggrin:

I did say girls, so that would include you. :smile:
Reply 104
http://www.uk-learning.net/t53980.html
It was more or less decided that London is the best place ever, having said that I'm not applying to any London unis.
BazTheMoney

Close enough to London? It's between Birmingham and London isn't it? Still a fair way away.

I can't imagine that many people would have the motivation to travel back-and-forth between the two places, especially if they're worse for wear.
Reply 106
BazTheMoney
And compared to Oxbridge, London isn't special, in any aspect.

lol
TheWolf
lol

Maybe Oxford, but never Cambridge.

Come on, London is the capital city. Must be awesome if you're at a decent uni.
Reply 108
mobbdeeprob
Close enough to London? It's between Birmingham and London isn't it? Still a fair way away.

I can't imagine that many people would have the motivation to travel back-and-forth between the two places, especially if they're worse for wear.

I went to Oxford on saturday and it seemed to have taken ages, plus there are only a few stations that have trains to oxford...londons definately not much of an option for a night out.
Reply 109
Invisible
Maybe Oxford, but never Cambridge.

Come on, London is the capital city. Must be awesome if you're at a decent uni.

ive been to oxford, its beautiful, but its nothing like London! :rolleyes: why do you think Oxford is so much better than Cambridge as a place?
Invisible
Yes, Oxford is wicked, but surely Cambridge is more dull and less of an exprience than London?

Barring the degree, I wouldn't say Cambridge offers much in terms of experience, it's pretty boring.

I agree.
Cambridge has greenery, heritage, a university and that's about it. London has garden squares, Royal parks and a lot more besides.
mobbdeeprob
Close enough to London?.

He meant that Oxford's club scence is decent enough.
Invisible

That's simply not true though.
Reply 113
Invisible

Still won't compete with the major cities though, London, Manchester etc.
TheWolf
ive been to oxford, its beautiful, but its nothing like London! :rolleyes: why do you think Oxford is so much better than Cambridge as a place?

Yes London is the capital city, can't dispute it.

Oxford is more interesting than Cambridge, because it's a proper city. Cambridge is too green and rural and quiet to be interesting.

Hardcore Academia but dull -> Cambridge
Brilliant Degree and Good/very good Experience -> Oxford
Very Good Degree and Awesome Experience -> London

Personally, I'd go for Ox, then London. (Imperial?)
jumpunderaboat
Still won't compete with the major cities though, London, Manchester etc.

Yes true, but it is Oxford. :wink:
Let me revive this and, in doing so, inject a little objective thought into the topic:

LONDON = the hub; the mecca; the big daddy; the hinterland; the melting pot

GOOD DEGREE from UCL/LSE/Kings/Imperial:- You are a walking god. Fellows doff their caps at you in the street, women want your babies, headhunters pursue you night and day.

Clubbing in the Capital:- A superlative experience, second to none (on these shores). The widest range of clubs, the most attractive clubgoers, the burliest bouncers and the best acts in town.

If you are:
- Intelligent
- Demand a better social life than the provinces will ever afford you
- Want to network with people like myself (and seemingly Ellie)

London is the place.
mobbdeeprob
That's simply not true though.

Oxford is fairly decent, it not nearly as good as London, but Oxford is good enough for your social life not to suffer greatly.

And realities of being a students haven't hit you yet clearly, if you think you're going to be going out every night you're kidding yourself, expecially not in London where the basic living costs are just to much.
mobbdeeprob
GOOD DEGREE from UCL/LSE/Kings/Imperial:- You are a walking god. Fellows doff their caps at you in the street, women want your babies, headhunters pursue you night and day.

Or like 95% of student you'll be happy just to scrape your 2.1 and get out of there. :wink:
BazTheMoney
Oxford is fairly decent, it not nearly as good as London, but Oxford is good enough for your social life not to suffer greatly.

And realities of being a students haven't hit you yet clearly, if you think you're going to be going out every night you're kidding yourself, expecially not in London where the basic living costs are just to much.

I agree, in my opinion as long as the city is fairly decent, if you meet the right people then you can have a great time throughout your uni life.

Latest

Trending

Trending