Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Predicted grades watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=86&subid=5

"A level History is also useful."

They do have a paper in Economic History and one in Politics, you know. The Politics paper was what attracted me to the Cambridge course, actually

Ideal Cambridge Economics A-levels: Maths, Further Maths, Economics and History.
    I know there is a large politics aspect to the course and it is attracting me more and more.

I may well have those A Levels too, if I don't I will have Maths, Economics, History with Further Maths AS.

It's so scary though that the acceptance rate this year for Cambridge Economics was 16.5% - lower than that for Medicine or Law or even E&M at Oxford (I know... you told me!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amrad)
    I know there is a large politics aspect to the course and it is attracting me more and more.

I may well have those A Levels too, if I don't I will have Maths, Economics, History with Further Maths AS.

It's so scary though that the acceptance rate this year for Cambridge Economics was 16.5% - lower than that for Medicine or Law or even E&M at Oxford (I know... you told me!)
    yea its crazy, this year itll be even gayer, with all the eu countries coming in + top up fee :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    Where did you get that from??

I was told they olny give stats averaged over 4 years to stop an influx on candidates one year.
    Prospectus has figures for 2003 entry (sorry I assumed it was 2004).

ReputationRep:
    1. You do the perfect A-levels
    2. Your teachers love you
    3. Cambridge love your school
    4. You have great GCSEs
    5. Great ECs, especially YE
    6. You'll do great in interview.
    Unfortunatly most people that apply have perfect A-Levels, most are loved by their teachers, a huge majority have excellent GCSEs, an even bigger majority have done YE or had similar work experience, and pull a great interview out the bag; but they still get rejected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    Unfortunatly most people that apply have perfect A-Levels, most are loved by their teachers, a huge majority have excellent GCSEs, an even bigger majority have done YE or had similar work experience, and pull a great interview out the bag; but they still get rejected.
    yep, i felt sorry for my sis big time when she got rejected, well everyone needs abit of luck

ReputationRep:
    In conclusion, you won't even have competition getting into Cambridge as:

1. You do the perfect A-levels
    2. Your teachers love you
    3. Cambridge love your school
    4. You have great GCSEs
    5. Great ECs, especially YE
    6. You'll do great in interview.

What's the problem? :rolleyes:

If it makes you feel better, Architecture at Cambridge is more competitive
    1. Don't think they read too deeply into that
    2. Urm nope, definitely not. Maybe one or two
    3. Do they really? And I thought that type of thing never happened these days
    4. As does the rest of the world these days
    5. Not bad, but don't even bring up YE, it still hurts

And thank you for reminding me that I overlooked architechture.

I still can't quite find the part of the Cam Econ course where it becomes apparent that it is actually a maths degree disguised as Economics, maybe you could help me meg?

ReputationRep:
    what is the thing with YE beeing so great, I don't mean to sound rude, but surely it is better to do work experience?

ReputationRep:
    what is the thing with YE beeing so great, I don't mean to sound rude, but surely it is better to do work experience?
    YE is fun though, unlike most of the work experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    yep, i felt sorry for my sis big time when she got rejected, well everyone needs abit of luck
    What were her grades + subjects. (if you don't mind me asking)

ReputationRep:
    What were her grades + subjects. (if you don't mind me asking)
    10a* 5as alevel

ReputationRep:
    YE is fun though, unlike most of the work experience
    i have 2 WEEKS!! With a stockbroker in a weeks' time, i'm not looking forward to it, I'm only 15 and my mum's already got the whole "it'll look good on your UCAS" thing going

ReputationRep:
    Baz - Amrad was a YE National Finalist. He goes to the same school as H&E and was said by one of his teachers to be the sharpest boy he had ever taught. I would say that stands him out?
    Funnily enough, a chap from my school days was supposedly the sharpest student a teacher had every taugh, didn't stop Caius from giving him the boot...

And YE = Business, not economics.

ReputationRep:
    i have 2 WEEKS!! With a stockbroker in a weeks' time, i'm not looking forward to it, I'm only 15 and my mum's already got the whole "it'll look good on your UCAS" thing going
    hey 2 weeks aint that bad ,gd that ur doin it early too

ReputationRep:
    10a* 5as alevel
    I can understand her being disapointed.
    Does she have any idea why??

ReputationRep:
    hey 2 weeks aint that bad ,gd that ur doin it early too
    yer i know, but at 15 you don't really want to spend your summer filing do you?? I just hope I don't get stuck making cups of tea as I don't actually know how to make one.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people struggle to get work experience, like myself. Most people I know have got it through contacts. Surely it is better to fight through round after round of competition, write a company report, present to an audience of businesspeople and run a real business of your own for nine months?

ReputationRep:
    I can understand her being disapointed.
    Does she have any idea why??
    nah she doesnt, wel she was pooled at first and then reject her, and write her back saying, she was very close to getting an offer..but due to the immense competition...etc etc, which doesnt maker her feel much better afterwards :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    Funnily enough, a chap from my school days was supposedly the sharpest student a teacher had every taugh, didn't stop Caius from giving him the boot...

And YE = Business, not economics.
    Baz, you don't exactly fill me with confidence
    Surely you would want to promote your subject and uni??

ReputationRep:
    Yep people like deianra and myself who have given so much time to YE tend to look at it through rose-tinted spectacles when I would imagine admissions tutors don't tihnk too much of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amrad)
    A lot of people struggle to get work experience, like myself. Most people I know have got it through contacts. Surely it is better to fight through round after round of competition, write a company report, present to an audience of businesspeople and run a real business of your own for nine months?
    Well for work experience, if you were looking I would suggest just writing to companies out of the yellow pages or off the internet, even if you get 12 rejections you only need one acceptance
    As for YE, as baz said that is Business not Economics and although it shows interest you could learn more working for a stockbroker and studying markets with them. Although I suppose both are very useful, and will only enhance your application.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.