Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amrad)
    Yep people like deianra and myself who have given so much time to YE tend to look at it through rose-tinted spectacles when I would imagine admissions tutors don't tihnk too much of it.
    Well i get the impression you also do it because you enjoy it, which is more important than doing it because it "looks good on your CV"

ReputationRep:
    Megs () when will you learn that Management does NOT equal business

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    Baz, you don't exactly fill me with confidence
    Surely you would want to promote your subject and uni??
    Thankfully I don't need to promote either my university or subject, it's over subscribed as it is at present, and my extra weight behind the cause won't help matters.

It's important to be realistic, it easy to be good in the classroom, a bit harder when you're faced with a couple of professor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amrad)
    Megs () when will you learn that Management does NOT equal business
    It's very similar actually, one of the very few subjects where Business Studies is useful.

ReputationRep:
    Oops. Back to predicted grades. My school gives AS predictions for internal use only (UCAS reference) which were given in May and will give A2 predictions at some point next year I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    Thankfully I don't need to promote either my university or subject, it's over subscribed as it is at present, and my extra weight behind the cause won't help matters.

It's important to be realistic, it easy to be good in the classroom, a bit harder when you're faced with a couple of professor.
    Yes, as always you talk sense

Oh well if I don't get into uni in the UK, i'll be off to the east coast of the big USA!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amrad)
    A lot of people struggle to get work experience, like myself.
    Ahem, no dear brother, you just never bothered to follow up the contacts handed to you on a plate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    Yes, as always you talk sense

Oh well if I don't get into uni in the UK, i'll be off to the east coast of the big USA!!
    Don't get me wrong, it's important to be positive and confident, but there has got to be an element of realism in there too. Good people get reject, they always have been and they always will be, get used to it. :rolleyes:

Where are you applying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    business + extra microeconomics + economics wins, really.
    You like Micro!?! :eek: It's the most boring section of economics, like, ever!

Thankfully I only have one more year of it.

ReputationRep:
    In conclusion, you won't even have competition getting into Cambridge as:

1. You do the perfect A-levels
    2. Your teachers love you
    3. Cambridge love your school
    4. You have great GCSEs
    5. Great ECs, especially YE
    6. You'll do great in interview.

What's the problem? :rolleyes:

If it makes you feel better, Architecture at Cambridge is more competitive
    1. What happened to the all so important necessity of A2 Further Maths?
    2. So?
    3. The school isn't him, and I doubt they'd favour applicants from his school purely on the basis of one going to that school.
    4. Only one aspect, but useful certainly.
    5. Doesn't help really, nobody has the right to judge "whose interests are better than others." If you're awesome at something, such as immense at Rugby/Rowing/Football, perhaps it's a slight advantage.
    6. LOL.

"Whats teh problem" - The acceptance rate?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    said by one of his teachers to be the sharpest boy he had ever taught. I would say that stands him out?
    Big fish/Small pond => Small fish/Big pond

ReputationRep:
    I really don't see how you can "wuffle" microeconomics. It really is all about Macro (at AS at least lol)

ReputationRep:
    All the Management tutors at Merton insist that they're really microeconomists. My like of 'boring' parts of Economics shall come in useful!

But really, what's wrong with Micro?! :confused: I like it.
    I think that on the whole, many people prefer the grandeur of macroeconomics. Most people who study economics probably won't touch it again after A-Level though, I suspect anyone seriously interested in economics is interested in all aspects of it. I have to say that I also prefer macroeconomics, but maybe that's because I've got a bleeding heart for the third world and development issues

I hope you like statistics...

ReputationRep:
    But really, what's wrong with Micro?! :confused: I like it.
    It's just so uninspiring, It's basically about business, how can anyone get excited about business. And they just pound the same stuff into you year after year, except it's a little bit harder every time meaning that you've got to concentrate, but not hard enough to make it exciting and new.

On the other hand macroeconomics is about development, government, and the world; there's so much more variety and wealth of topic to cover.

ReputationRep:
    Stats and Pure Maths are fun. Perhaps Pure Maths a bit more than Stats, but they're fine and great. I even do extra Maths when I'm feeling happy

But whoever made up Mechanics is a wonderful person because I love it so much
    gosh, I couldn't agree more with you there meg!

ReputationRep:
    I just find Micro restricting, as a subject, at A-Level and undergrad anyway, Economics dosen't really rely on the initiative and innovation of the student, but Micro more so that most. At least Macro has some depth.

One thing it may have going for it is that it's easier than Macro, which is one advantage, I suppose
    When 40% of the school is going to Oxbridge, it's not quite so much small pond as say, medium pond? Still, fair point. *bows head*
    I agree with you there, to an extent. Certainly in my year anyway, the people that dominated academically at A-Level, have gone on to be big fishes at university. You can't call SPS (et al) a small pond, not when they send 80 odd per year.

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes:

Aren't you meant to be in China, Min?
    Nope, got back from Rome yesterday, and flying to HK tomorrow morning. Jet setting sucks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    It's just so uninspiring, It's basically about business, how can anyone get excited about business.
    I disagree, business can be as interesting as economics

ReputationRep:
    Didn't you like industrial, though? But I suppose there's always some parts of a subject you can like, even if the rest is as tedious as hell or summat.
    Industry was Ok, it did have some interest parts, but I did find some sections a bit of a drag; it certainly wasn't my favourite topic.

ReputationRep:
    maybe i will

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.