Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    One of my biggest frustrations with my Galaxy Ace has been the inability to save apps on my SD card and as I edge close to buying an S5, I wanted to ask if this is a general situation on all devices that the apps aren't saved on the SD card? There seems to be no way you can do so (not sure apps which advertise ways to resolve this are good)

Thoughts appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    One of my biggest frustrations with my Galaxy Ace has been the inability to save apps on my SD card and as I edge close to buying an S5, I wanted to ask if this is a general situation on all devices that the apps aren't saved on the SD card? There seems to be no way you can do so (not sure apps which advertise ways to resolve this are good)

Thoughts appreciated!
    Most Android devices you can move apps over to SD card. Doesn't the move to SD card button appear? Do you know the exact reason why it doesn't let you do that? Maybe SD card is full?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Android Marshmallow was the first OS to allow apps to be installed to a micro SD card (by treating the SD card as internal storage). I'm guessing the Ace doesn't support Marshmallow (the S5 on the other hand does I believe). This allows you to format an SD card to act as internal storage and install apps on it.

It is possible to have apps transfer their data to an SD card but it's not always advisable. And it's not advisable to move commonly used apps to the SD card.

SD cards have a limited number of reads and writes before they go bad and become unusable. Accessing an app on an SD card uses up hundreds or in extreme cases thousands of these reads/writes each time. If you plan to keep the phone for a long time you'll inevitably run into problems later when your SD card goes bad.

On top of that neither the Ace nor S5 are particularly good devices nowadays. The S5 is more modern and has already stopped receiving major updates. Purchasing an S5 would be a poor investment all round.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 5, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.