Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm very lost right now and I honestly don't know where to turn, any advice would be greatly appreciated

I got my AS results back last week:
    Geography - A
    English Lit. - A
    Biology - D
    Chemistry - U

I've gone from 9A*'s and 2A's at GCSE to AADU at AS. I knew the sciences hadn't been very good this year but I thought I'd scrape C's in them. I'm so upset because I don't even feel happy about getting 2A's as I've always been set on studying science subjects at university.

I have so many regrets. I wish I had worked harder. I had dreamed of studying medicine and I had no back up plan.
    I don't know what to do.

I had extenuating circumstances as since last July dad has been very ill with advanced cancer, I guess I just wasn't in the right mindset this year.

I'd just like advice on what to do next.

An option I am seriously considering is transferring to a local college, to do A2's in English and Geography and to restart AS Biology and Chemistry, taking them to A2 in the following year whilst doing an AS in another subject alongside them.

Is this a good idea? Will university's look down on me for taking 3 years for doing my A-Levels, considering the extenuating circumstances?

The other option is to stay at the current school's sixth form, drop chemistry all together and resit biology AS and complete biology A2 in one year alongside English and Geography. Although this will mean I won't have a grade in a 4th AS Level.

I've pretty much realised medicine is simply not an option anymore, so will having only 3 AS Levels influence university offers?

Thank you so much for any help/advice, I'm feeling so scared about my future

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I can only give quite limited and rubbish practical advice, which would be: speak to your current / most recent college about your options, they can advise you on the best course of action to take and what degree subjects / universities are good options for you.

I can also tell you that while I don't know about medicine specifically, many universities (and good ones, not just crap ones) will accept someone who took 3 years to do their A-levels and / or had to do resits and so on, especially with your record. As for AS levels, these matter much less than your 3 A2 grades which most universities will ask for. You are still very much in with a shot of a good course at a good uni.

Mainly though, I just want to say, don't blame yourself too much for your results. You've clearly had a really hard time, and you can tell by the difference between GCSE and A-level that there is more going on, it's not just a case of you not being good enough. In fact, considering your situation I think your grades are amazing and you've done really well.

I also just want to say that I made a lot of mistakes at A-level, I got a D in Biology too (without extenuating circumstances) and ended up doing a completely different university course to the one I'd 'dreamed' of. I thought I'd completely messed up my future but 5 years on I'm very happy with what I'm doing, although it's very different to what I'd imagined I'd be doing. Those kinds of changes in direction happen to most people at some point in life.

Basically I'm just trying to say that clearly by your grades you are an intelligent person, and you mustn't be too harsh on yourself.

[Anyway hopefully other people will have some practical steps for you, or, like I said, talk to your college, and you can get on your way to finding a good solution].

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    x

It won't matter to unis if you take 3 years to take your A-levels.

The most important thing is to finish your A-levels with at least AAB (given your GCSE grades and expectations.)

ReputationRep:
    Please don’t feel lost.
    Your results are not awful. You have two A results in tricky subjects and, given the circumstances you did your exams in, that in itself is an excellent achievement you should feel proud for having.

What you need to ask yourself is this: Are you feeling lost because you think you cannot study Medicine now?
    If so, that does not necessarily have to be the case. You would have to retake biology and chemistry of course, maybe study at undergraduate level first in a subject like biomedical sciences and get much more work experience up your sleeve, but essentially you have options. If you truly want this, with enough hard work and determination, this will not stop you from accomplishing this dream.

But please ask yourself this.

How much do you want to study medicine? The exams of medicine plus the stress of being a doctor are so stressful. If you are feeling burnt out at this stage of your life, then is you sure you have the right character for medicine. Because it’s not all about academics. It’s also about you as a person.

Did you want to do medicine because you enjoy biology, the prospect of helping people and the prestige?

Again, you have other career options that can combine all of these aspects together. You could become someone who works at a charity organisation, a researcher developing medicine, a teacher inspiring a new generation. I very much recommend talking to a career counsellor at school and with friends who aren’t doing science subjects. (You seem to have a natural talent in English- can you utilise it?)

Perhaps you could have worked harder, but your circumstances were difficult and as long as you learn from this, push yourself harder next time, then these grades by no means will close doors on you.

You’re young and full of potential! :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    You could still have another chance to apply to medicine through the graduate entry route ie get 2.1 or 1st. You could do as others have suggested and retake those sciences then apply for another degree (science based preferably if you still want to do medicine but they accept any I think) but make sure you like your degree and do well in it.

Minus your ext.circumstances, I'm in a similar situation, got B's at A2 and studying Biomed this September at Brookes (only 280ums).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm very lost right now and I honestly don't know where to turn, any advice would be greatly appreciated

I got my AS results back last week:
    Geography - A
    English Lit. - A
    Biology - D
    Chemistry - U

I've gone from 9A*'s and 2A's at GCSE to AADU at AS. I knew the sciences hadn't been very good this year but I thought I'd scrape C's in them. I'm so upset because I don't even feel happy about getting 2A's as I've always been set on studying science subjects at university.

I have so many regrets. I wish I had worked harder. I had dreamed of studying medicine and I had no back up plan.
    I don't know what to do.

I had extenuating circumstances as since last July dad has been very ill with advanced cancer, I guess I just wasn't in the right mindset this year.

I'd just like advice on what to do next.

An option I am seriously considering is transferring to a local college, to do A2's in English and Geography and to restart AS Biology and Chemistry, taking them to A2 in the following year whilst doing an AS in another subject alongside them.

Is this a good idea? Will university's look down on me for taking 3 years for doing my A-Levels, considering the extenuating circumstances?

The other option is to stay at the current school's sixth form, drop chemistry all together and resit biology AS and complete biology A2 in one year alongside English and Geography. Although this will mean I won't have a grade in a 4th AS Level.

I've pretty much realised medicine is simply not an option anymore, so will having only 3 AS Levels influence university offers?

Thank you so much for any help/advice, I'm feeling so scared about my future
    Hey, it's okay... You're results are not even that bad... and if you're soo keen on doing sciences just re do the year. Uni's don't care if you did 3 years at college.

Don't beat yourself over about it you tried and don't worry you can always retake. You can also move ahead with Biology and do A2 and resit the AS exams but wouldn't recommend it as it would be overwhelming and difficult. I would just retake the year. No shame in it. Tbh I've retaken and I know a lot of people that have too in face I know people who are taking their 4th year in college...

Kolia

Thank you so much everyone for your advice

Today I went back to my sixth form's school.

My biology teacher has said she wouldn't predict me above a C, even though I am determined to resit and work harder. Had an embarrassing breakdown in front of her but she didn't seem to empathise with how I felt.

Now all I want to do is go to the college and have a fresh start. I've enrolled there so could start tomorrow - I still feel so clueless.

ReputationRep:
    Better than 4 U's.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 7, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.