Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So Im moving away for university next week and my maintenance loan is only just about enough to pay for my halls. I have a part time job and am being transferred over to a store near my uni. I got a decent contract of nearly 20 hours a week and have savings also. Should I be ok financially?

ReputationRep:
    As long as you budget appropriately and have your student bank account (specifically for your interest free overdraft) ready you should be fine I imagine we'll get better at budgeting as we go on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ariel966)
    So Im moving away for university next week and my maintenance loan is only just about enough to pay for my halls. I have a part time job and am being transferred over to a store near my uni. I got a decent contract of nearly 20 hours a week and have savings also. Should I be ok financially?
    I think you should be fine as long as your savings and part time work cover all your other bills and living costs; if you have a lot of savings and work already sorted then it sounds like you will be doing great on cash, but unless you do an actual budget plan you won't know for sure - it's always better to be safe than sorry!

ReputationRep:
    You should have plenty, but try to avoid eating into your savings, as you may want to cut down on your working hours at some point. 20 hours is a lot to fit in alongside studying and extra-curriculars.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ariel966)
    Hello ,

It's common for a majority of students that their maintenance loan only just covers their living costs and with working twenty hours a week and with your savings you'll be fine as long as you plan out your finances and budget well.
    Sort this kind of stuff out before you start the year.

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Being in full time work, not being given any maintenance grant and not having any savings...this thread depresses me haha.

To be fair, it wasn't as depressing as the 17 year old student discussing her PS4, Xbox One and gaming PC in class the other day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbblitz)
    Being in full time work, not being given any maintenance grant and not having any savings...this thread depresses me haha.

To be fair, it wasn't as depressing as the 17 year old student discussing her PS4, Xbox One and gaming PC in class the other day.
    No! It will work out. You'll pick up money somewhere. And you can start saving just a tiny bit each month and I'm sure it will all add up. Don't worry about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustGeorgeJ)
    Hello ,

It's common for a majority of students that their maintenance loan only just covers their living costs and with working twenty hours a week and with your savings you'll be fine as long as you plan out your finances and budget well.
    Sort this kind of stuff out before you start the year.

Best of luck
    Thank you you've made me feel better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catrinana)
    I think you should be fine as long as your savings and part time work cover all your other bills and living costs; if you have a lot of savings and work already sorted then it sounds like you will be doing great on cash, but unless you do an actual budget plan you won't know for sure - it's always better to be safe than sorry!
    Good idea, I'll feel a bit better about the situation when I make a budget plan for everything

ReputationRep:
    This is a common problem for first years and unfortunately affects many including myself last year. It will get better in second year when you move into a private house and have a lot more money available to you. You have a job so should be okay but it's okay to use your overdraft and don't worry about having to use a lot of it if you have to because it's their for flexibility and is interest free atm. Just get through the first year then the next 2 are much easier money wise

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.