The Student Room Group

Non biological father on the birth certificate?

Hi just a question here.

I have a 9 month old baby boy. His biological father has never been involved since before he was born.

My boyfriend, who is basically his dad and loves him unconditionally as his own (he's never seen him as not being his), and I have been together from the time I found out I was pregnant.

When I was registering my son I only put down my name as parent and left the father part blank.

My boyfriend has been asking to be put down as the father. Also when our son is older we don't want him looking at the birth certificate that's not got his fathers name on.

Is it ok for us to put my boyfriends name down?

Thanks xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can't sign for both of you unless you're married. Otherwise, you have to fill out a form stating that the man signing the birth cert is the father. No-one will ever know, of course - but you are essentially knowingly lying on a legal document, and also committing a fraud on the child.

He is also taking legal parental responsibility for the child - although under non legit circumstances.
Reply 2
Original post by Studentmama
Hi just a question here.

I have a 9 month old baby boy. His biological father has never been involved since before he was born.

My boyfriend, who is basically his dad and loves him unconditionally as his own (he's never seen him as not being his), and I have been together from the time I found out I was pregnant.

When I was registering my son I only put down my name as parent and left the father part blank.

My boyfriend has been asking to be put down as the father. Also when our son is older we don't want him looking at the birth certificate that's not got his fathers name on.

Is it ok for us to put my boyfriends name down?

Thanks xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

No don't do this, either put the real dad's name down, or leave it blank.
i'm fairly sure it's illegal to knowingly put down the wrong name. if your boyfriend wants legal responsibility that badly, get him to adopt the kid
If you're 100% certain that the biological father wants no role in your baby's life, and your boyfriend will want legal responsibility even if you split up, then go through the adoption process.

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending