Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've passed all of my GCSE'S:
    A* in Sociology
    B in Maths
    B in Psychology
    C in English Language (AQA)
    And I also have Romanian qualifications - (I came in the UK last year and my school asked me to do 4 GCSE'S in order to prove that I can adapt to the English educational system)

The grade shocked me because I had an A* in my controlled assessments and A* predicted grade.
    My problem is that I've hard that the majority of good universities won't accept students unless they have a B in English Language.

Is that true? Should I retake English in November?
    Right now I've been enrolled into History, English Literature and Sociology A Levels and the second year of Law BTEC Certificate.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Probably best not to ask on here lol. But, yeah, it's a pass grade.

ReputationRep:
    I think under the circumstances you have done really well. Universities require 5 GCSEs including English and Maths (plus A levels or level 3 qualification) If you wanted to do a degree unrelated to English a C would probably be enough for most universities. However, if you're wanting to study English/History/humanities subject at uni, it is best to get a higher grade in the English. I also wouldn't recommend that you go on to do A level English with a C in the GCSE. (Not sure why your school has enrolled you for it actually.) This is not because I think you can't do it - getting an A* in the controlled assessment and being predicted an A* was very good, but maybe the exam let you down? This may be something you need to work on and English A level is VERY difficult.

You will need at least 5 GCSEs for uni and getting jobs (most people do between 7 and 11) and as I said above A levels are really hard, so in my opinion you're not ready to go onto A levels just yet. I would say you need to do a few more GCSEs (it would be a good idea to do sciences as universities and employers often like to see these), improve the English grade and fully get used to the English education system. Talk this through with your teachers, don't just let them shove you onto A levels before you are ready!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L33t)

That's fine for most employers and for most uni courses if that's your plan- don't listen to what some of the rah's will say on here though!

Double check on the Uni websites though JIC

Congratulations on a fine set of results
    4 GCSEs and a grade C in English is not fine for most universities if you want to do an English or humanities degree. All universities require at least 5 GCSEs and will expect more of most applicants because the average for students in school is about 10. Employers will also expect at least 5. It's also recommended that you do at least single science GCSE. This is just the way it is. I know you're trying to be positive but there's no point telling people that 4 gcses is fine when it's not.

It doesn't sound like the OP is ready for A levels yet - especially not A level English!

OP I'm not being harsh, obviously you are really intelligent but A levels are really hard and I just think you need a higher grade in English before going onto the A level. It also won't do any harm to do a few more GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    Just seen that you are enrolled onto English Literature A level, when you only have the language GCSE. Really not sure why the school are letting you do this - usually you need a grade B in English Literature GCSE to do it at A level. You also usually need History GCSE to do that at A level! What are your Romanian qualifications?

English Lit and History are really hard A levels, I really wouldn't advise doing them without more preparation. At least talk to your teachers about it, check the entry requirements for the universities and courses you are interested in and get some advice from others about what English lit and History are like at A level.

ReputationRep:
    My school is allowing me to do these subjects because of my age and my Romanian qualifications. At the moment I am 17 and my school told me that after you are 19 you have to pay for education. Since my family and I cannot afford this I have to do them now.

As to what my Romanian are I have completed the first year of highschool and finished with the overall grade 9.45 (something between an A and an A*) in the social humanities field (this means that I took extra exams in English, Romanian Language and Literature, History and Logic and debating)
    My grades are:
    10/A* in English,
    10/A* in Romanian Language and Literature, 9/A in History,
    9/A in Logic and debating,
    9/A in French,
    8/B in Geography,
    8/B in Mathematics
    10/A* in Biology,
    8/B in Physics,
    6/a low C in Chemistry,
    10/A* in Religious Studies, Art, Music and PE

In Romania you have to take all the subjects until you finish highschool as all of them are facilitating

ReputationRep:
    Considering, nearly all unis ask for minimum C in English language and Maths its perfectly fine (even top unis such as UCL)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spyter)
    My school is allowing me to do these subjects because of my age and my Romanian qualifications. At the moment I am 17 and my school told me that after you are 19 you have to pay for education. Since my family and I cannot afford this I have to do them now.

As to what my Romanian are I have completed the first year of highschool and finished with the overall grade 9.45 (something between an A and an A*) in the social humanities field (this means that I took extra exams in English, Romanian Language and Literature, History and Logic and debating)
    My grades are:
    10/A* in English,
    10/A* in Romanian Language and Literature, 9/A in History,
    9/A in Logic and debating,
    9/A in French,
    8/B in Geography,
    8/B in Mathematics
    10/A* in Biology,
    8/B in Physics,
    6/a low C in Chemistry,
    10/A* in Religious Studies, Art, Music and PE

In Romania you have to take all the subjects until you finish highschool as all of them are facilitating
    That's all really good, but you should check with the universities that they will recognise these qualifications as they are from a different country. Maybe you should talk with your teachers about why you got a C in the language gcse so you can address this in future.

After all the information you have provided, I would say check university entry requirements for the courses you're interested in, check they will recognise your Romanian qualifications, find out exactly what they want and then you can do it. If the universities are saying they want a B in the English gcse then retake it.

As far as I know you can do A levels for free up to being around 24 as long as you don't already hold a level 3 qualification. It's up to you what you do next but be aware that the minimum standard in the UK for getting into uni or getting jobs is 5 GCSEs A-C and you only seem to have 4, so if you're going to be living and working in the UK in the future you may want to think about getting at least one more GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for your advice.
    I think I will do either Biology of Physics, French or Religious Studies GCSE as a private candidate just in case my school is wrong. At the moment they have assured me that 4 GCSE's are good for everything and that alongside my current grades I will be able to go to a top university (even Oxbridge). However, after reading your advice and some other info online I've decided that I'll better be safe than sorry and that I will do 1 more GCSE alongside the A levels.
    My school enrolled me on the new A levels which examine the student only at the end of the second year so I think it is manageable to do one GCSE alongside it.
    I will also have my English exam remarked in hope of a better result and if that's not the case I will resit the exam in November as I want to do a Law and Politics degree.

ReputationRep:
    Speaking as an A level English teacher of many years, I'd say that a native speaker of English with grade C at GCSE embarking on A level English would be asking for a serious disappointment at the end of the course, but this case is different. If OP has only been in the UK for a year and has managed a C at GCSE in that time, then that shows a very intelligent person who adapts quickly, and I suspect they would be able to handle the A level. I have had students in a similar position.

As for the situation when it comes to applying for university, then it must be recognised that OP is not a standard UK candidate for whom the usual guidelines about number of GCSEs apply. S/he has a set of very good Rumanian qualifications already, which the universities will accept on their own merits. The GCSEs are on top of that. With a good grade at A level, s/he will have demonstrated that his/her command of English is good, and that s/he is an adaptable and quick learner. If further proof of proficiency in the English language is required, then s/he can take IELTS. All non-standard applicants are considered on their own merits, and with a reference which explains the circumstances, OP should get university offers fairly straightforwardly.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.