Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Want to get through this without therapy, anyone got practical advise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mvpmb)
    Satisfy your OCD by NOT doing your OCD. Try it and once you do it about 10 times this should work for at least a while. It did for me at least.

Talking from personal experience. Ik it sucks and is annoying af...

Kolia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikkolia)
    Satisfy your OCD by NOT doing your OCD. Try it and once you do it about 10 times this should work for at least a while. It did for me at least.

Talking from personal experience. Ik it sucks and is annoying af...

Kolia
    The thing is is i dont want to give up on my "compulsions". One of my werid habits its blocking people i dislike
    (OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN)

However, Im not going to stop blocking these people, i just need to learn to do it once

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mvpmb)
    The thing is is i dont want to give up on my "compulsions". One of my werid habits its blocking people i dislike

However, Im not going to stop blocking these people, i just need to learn to do it once
    I see, okay the next time you "block" someone just do it once and then, THAT'S IT!!! I know that it is soo much harder than it sounds but please trust me and just don't do it and I know you will feel as if it's missing or wrong or messed up but think that YOU DID NOT DO IT fulfilling your OCD of NOT fulfilling your OCD. if that makes any sense... do you get what I'm trying to say?

P.S. message me if you got any questions or need any of my advice aha

Kolia

(Original post by Mvpmb)

Oh my god, I thought I was the only one who did that, I do that as well and I'm diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia by one doctor and diagnosed bipolar by another.

Are you diagnosed OCD by a doctor?

I take antipsychotics and they stop these thoughts completely and instantly
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Mvpmb)
    If you don't want to go to therapy you can still read up on it and do what it teaches yourself. There's a treatment called CBT which I was given and there are also other forms of behavioural therapy. I watched a documentary called Camp OCD which showed therapy in action a bit. It is rather emotional, but it may help you.
    Here's some things i've found helpful or heard of as well (most are from types of therapy but I can't remember the names of them...

Rituals:The biggest thing to remember is you don't need to tackle it all at once. If you have multiple rituals or compulsions, think of one you want t start with and just work on that first. When you start being able to take control of your thoughts more you can start working at it more.
    To start with try delaying the ritual. When you get the urge wait for a while before doing it. Maybe start with a couple of minuets. Time it and see if you can start increasing it every now and again. If you can't- don't worry. You will have bad days but they do not wipe the progress you have made.
    If you have any rituals that are disruptive or difficult to manage, try to adapt them enough for them to be managable or to take steps to make them easier to cope with. I used to have issues with how my hands felt. If I touched certian textures or touched something in a certian way my hands would feel wierd and i would have to keep washing them and trying loads of different things until they felt "right" again. I ended up finding a moisturiser which made them feel okay, so I put a little pot of it in my bag so if I was triggered I could just use that.

Thoughts: If you get bad thoughts as part of your OCD, confront them. Yes it's possible that the thing you are worried about may happen, but you have no control over that. You worrying about it or doing some silly thing will not change the possibility. Remember that it is just your mind trying to scare you.

General: OCD feeds off insecurities, anxieties and depressions. Improve your general mental wellbeing and your OCD may become less fierce. My OCD became managable once I got my depressino under control.
    Don't be ashamed. Trying to hide it and supress everything will just feed it. Be proud of any achievement you make and remember that any lapse is still part of the progress. Try to find somebody or somewhere you feel safe around. Once I opened up to a couple of my friends and could be a bit more open about it occasionally it really helped me to take control back. I didn't fear it as much anymore so it lost it's hold on me.

Know when help is necessary and don't be affraid to get help if you need it. Therapy can be a scary experience, but it can make a really big difference. You don't have to try it right away and hopefully you can manage without it, but know it is there to turn to if you need to.

Mind.org, OCD Uk and Sane are good places to start if you want more information and advice. You can also ask your doctor for advice- you can always refuse if they suggest something you don't like.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 9, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.